SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Heart Nebula Bicolor

Rodd

It was supposed to be clear tonight....been looking forward to it for the last 3 days.  It isn't.  What else is new.  What else to do but perfect images.

I have never been very adept at rendering Ha-OIII bicolor images, even those targets that are commonly thus portrayed (Veil, Thor, SH2-129, etc).  So I was fairly pleased with this attempt.  Don't pixel peep to harshly at the stars--the scope was a bit out of collimation and the spacing was a mm off or so.  Since fixed.  Haven't tested it yet.  I get so few clear nights I just haven't had a chance.  One more image to do--then it goes into service.

I do like the Hubble Palette for this target--but I also like the idea of a red heart.  I guess LRGB is the way to go.  I am working on it.  I have been shooting more broad band images--galaxies, and consider broad band nebula to be the holy grail.  Hopefully this winter.

FSQ 106 with .6x reducer and ASI 1600 (3nm filters)

Ha  29 300 sec

OIII 38 300 sec

Aalt2.thumb.jpg.2c4c8f8c4f55944b3f6d8ca74b1493e0.jpg

• Like 8

41 minutes ago, John Nodding said:

I think that’s my new favourite image (first pic) of one of my favourite targets. Just stunning Rodd! 👍🏻

Noddy

Thanks Noddy.  I still can’t believe something like this actually exists out there.  And it’s huge! One of my favorites too