NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

NGC 3184

Rodd

I have been working on this image for many months, never being satisfied.  In truth, the discrepancies are small--probably not describable to a non compulsive astrophotographer.  But they are there and they troubled me greatly.  Finally, I feel a bit relieved, as I managed to impart what I feel to be a respectable amount of color to the spiral arms, including the Ha regions (without using Ha data!).   My goal was to reveal as much detail as possible without over sharpening, avoid excessive noise control, not over stretch, not over saturate....the usual things.  I am still amazed at the scale of detail possible to record with a refractor and small pixels.  I look at an image like this as if I am looking through an eyepiece at the galaxy.  At the eyepiece one peers at the target for long periods of time, the mind and eyes working together to provide a sense of depth and scale.  The eye sees a small, blotch of light, while the mind sculpts it into a 100,000 light year gargantuan.  Slowly, as one looks, the magnitude of the size of the spiral arms begins to be perceived.  The tiniest detail, perhaps one only visible with averted vision completely changes the feel of the view--draws one in, makes one grasp the monumental fact that one is looking at something quite beyond ones comprehension. 

I processed this image with this in mind.  It is a small image--certainly not slap your face astounding like some images.  But I figured if I could portray a distant galaxy as realistically as possible, perhaps someone who has felt that moment of awe when one not only knows that they are peering at a huge, distant galaxy, but FEELS it, will appreciate the image a bit more.  Its the type of sensation that gets one hooked on astronomy and telescopes!  Anyway--that was my goal.  The background could be better, and I could have imparted more color to the galaxy--but I could have just as easilly produced an over processed cartoon.   Perhaps a bit more dynamic range in the galaxy is in order...I'l get my scalpel set out and prepare for surgery!

A.thumb.jpg.e6967bd7dc4810d68ace856ef79ae9f6.jpg

• Like 15

That's a lovely shot Rodd- I really like your description of what you were trying to achieve as well, that familiar feeling of being at the eyepiece and trying to construct an image from the grey wisps that you perceive with hints coming and going in the seeing. I think it's so important to remember that and not get lost in the technical details which is so easy to do. Thanks for sharing.

6 hours ago, Whistlin Bob said:

That's a lovely shot Rodd- I really like your description of what you were trying to achieve as well, that familiar feeling of being at the eyepiece and trying to construct an image from the grey wisps that you perceive with hints coming and going in the seeing. I think it's so important to remember that and not get lost in the technical details which is so easy to do. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Bob.  I regret deeply that I do not spend nearly enough time at the eyepiece (haven't look through one in years).  I used to love observing the heavens.  The problem is with my sky I just couldn't see anything except the planets and Moon.  I had a Meade 14" RCX and could never find M51!.  I tried the veil with an OIII filter and THINK I caught a wisp.  I did see Neptune once...which I am proud of.  A beautiful little  blue marble.  Even with my old 6" criterion newt Jupiter and Saturn rocked my world (the origin of my current obsession).  But that is it.  Maybe at a dark site things would be different.  There is nothing like looking at the actual target...not some picture.  The Moon leaves me speechless.

Edited by Rodd
  • Like 1