NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

DSLR Controller

Does anyone have experience of using the DSLR Controller app?

I have a Canon EOS 600d and I like the thought of having live view on my phone rather than just the LCD screen. I hear that DSLR Controller comes with basic intervalometer settings - and I want to use to take x number of y second subs etc...

My 600d is unable to take anymore than 10 continuous shots.  

Does the DSLR Controller App 'add' this intervalometer setting to a camera that doesn't have it built in or does it just replicate what the camera can already do, and is it capable of doing x number of shots of y second subs? - or will I need an intervalometer instead?

Edited by dd999

8 minutes ago, david_taurus83 said:

Can't say I've heard of that app. There is an alternative in Magic Lantern which is a firmware you install on the SD card. It has lots of extra controls in it but the main ones of interest are a bulb timer and intervalometer. I used it on my old 600D and also use it now on my 6D.

https://magiclantern.fm/

That was another consideration I had. I've had my dslr for about a week and guess being over protective lol - I have heard the 'horror stories' of Magic Lantern causing issues, and locking up the camera - like for example taking the SD card out too quickly.

I guess many have used it without issue though.

Edited by dd999

I use the app

First get the free DSLR remote release as it lets you test for connectivity, by chainfire as well.

There is an inbuilt time lapse in the full app, it's great I just haven't been able to get the delay not too work which is why sometimes I use an antervalometer like last night as I needed a 4 hour start delay but I used DSLR controller to focus and set the camera up.

I also have magic lantern installed not that does not give you a bigger screen! And in 4 years on being installed ML has caused about 5 lock ups where you have to pop the battery as camera was'nt turning off when off.

Thanks all!

So Magic Lantern for the intervalometer continuous shots (more than the 10 my 600d can take)

And although you can use DSLR Controller (with ML installed) on your mobile or tablet to help give you a larger screen for night time focusing etc... you just can't access the ML extra settings via your mobile device.

Got it 👍 

1 minute ago, happy-kat said:

If I were choosing just one it would be DSLR controller.

I do like this option but don't know if it would give me the intervalometer settings I need ( say 100 continuous shots of 2 second subs ) - if this setting doesn't already exist on the camera.

If it adds them (like ML does) I would def go down that option

I received my OTG cable today, and tried out DSLR Controller (after checking compliance with remote release - good tip!).

Very pleased, and it does add the intervalometer settings I need. Hopefully this will help with focussing at night, which I need to understand a litttle more.....

......but on the whole very pleased. Appreciate the advice 👍