Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M92

From early this morning... M92 in Hercules, taken whilst we were gawping at "C/2020 F3 Neowise" though bins. Lots of faint fuzzies in this one, although most don't have any Redshift (radial velocity) recorded on Simbad.
Of those which are visible PGC2204313 is over 522 million light years away. (A Seyfert, PGC3096541 is given as 2.2 billion ly, but is too small to make out). Only got 24 usable subs out of 40 images due to guiding problems (& wind). SW 200dps + EQ6 + Canon 600d & 3min subs.

At the end of the session I tried a 10min experiment to capture Jupiter using the DLSR live view & APT on 5x Zoom. Not wholly successful, but I'm not used to PIPP & Registax, so may not be processing correctly. In APT I unchecked "Live View Automation" (Tools->APT Settings) & set the APT camera settings to ISO 100 & 1/60 sec exposures. From the Planetary option in Tools menu I then used the option to save JPGs from the liveview stream. Gonna have to play around with things methinks...

Cheers
Ivor

M92_v1.jpg

M92_Annotated_Lo-Res.jpg

Jupiter_rough.jpg

• Like 9

Hi and thanks.

I found a few more stars and fixed the ones around the edge. I'm having trouble with the colour though -nothing new there of course- especially the red/orange. If I get a moment I may have a go, but I'm hopeless at colour!

Again, lovely shot. There's loadsa resolution. Gotta love big reflectors:)

Cheers

1-92-st.thumb.jpg.8c683590a7e0f14a2003d59948dbb5c8.jpg

• Like 3

That's a great image and collaboration.

@Aramcheck, Ivor, where does the overlay come from? I never get so many faint fuzzies ID'd in astrometry.net submissions. I have a thing for tracking down the timorous wee beasties that hide in plain sight :) !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul M said:

where does the overlay come from?

It's the product of three scripts in Pixinsight. First you run ImageSolver (Script->Image Analysis menu) to plate solve the image. Then run CopyCoordinates (Script->Utilities)... followed by AnnotateImage (Script->Render).

The AnnotateImage script has an option for the PGC (Principal Galaxies Catalogue) and you can export a list to a text file. I usually then import the text file to Excel & look up the redshift radial velocities on Simbad.
(From the radial velocity in km/s, divide by the Hubble Constant (68) to get the approx distance in MPc & then multiply by 3.26x10^6 to get approx distance in light years)

I'm not sure if other Plate Solving software also has the PGC catalog (eg ASTAP, PlateSolve2 or All Sky Plate Solver).

Cheers
Ivor

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Aramcheck said:

It's the product of three scripts in Pixinsight

Ok, thanks. I don't have Pixinsight.

I've only played at the edges of ASTAP and PlateSolve2. Not sure how configurable they are yet. I'll have a look at ASTAP as it's one of the preloaded plate solving options in Astroberry that I'm moving to (if the sky ever clears again this year!).

I usually find a fuzzie in an image then try and identify it in SkySafari then google it! Your method is easier :)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, alacant said:

EKOS' FitsViewer will give you the grid and object overlay. Just enable the WCS so that the data is written to the fits header.

HTH

I've seen WCS crop up as options in device profiles. Wasn't sure what to do with it. Now I know, I think.. Thanks!

Not actually acquired a single FITS image yet. My imaging so far has been RAW DSLR format in APT, back in the days (nights) before the solstice. By 'eck, them were the days...

My new ZWO cameras didn't come with FLO's "May contain clouds" warning labels but they sure packed in the clouds :(

22 hours ago, Aramcheck said:

I'm not sure if other Plate Solving software also has the PGC catalog (eg ASTAP, PlateSolve2 or All Sky Plate Solver).

Below a Hyperleda (PGC) annotation of the image using ASTAP. Just download the Hyperleda database installer from the ASTAP webpage :

Han

M92new-image.jpg.dd2845f48f883a154a8c02169d95c85d.jpg

Edited by han59
flipped the image
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, han59 said:

Below a Hyperleda (PGC) annotation of the image using ASTAP. Just download the Hyperleda database installer from the ASTAP webpage :

Wow!

I did it. Thanks for that. Never really done much with ASTAP. Seems to have a lot of features. Here is my effort on M101 from back in the dark days (May!) duly annoted :)

image.thumb.png.8494c9465a77ee59847ae74f5d562311.png

Oh, sorry. I hijaked your thread @Aramcheck 😟

• Like 1