Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What tracker should I get?

At the risk of this question been asked before I really need opinions from actual users.

So after taking a few static images of the milky way and to be honest, blown away, I decided to take the plunge and get a tracker!. I now for some this might not feel like something "big" but it is actually a big deal to me. It's my first step into proper AP.

After the initial shock I had when looking at the prices, I cooled down and saw that I could get decent trackers for 250  (€) approx. 

But my question is which one to buy. I'm currently aiming at the star adventurer pro pack, but have recently discovered that I could get a skywatcher eq3-2 for 250 (€) too. I'm aiming at some milky way photography too,but mainly wanted to buy it for DSO.

Equipment I already own is: 

-Canon 550D

-EFS 55-250mm lens

-Sturdy tripod

-Ball head

I've also heard about the iOptron but it has similar specs to the star adventurer but the price is way higher.

Thanks in advance, any help is welcomed.

S

I have a SW Star Adventurer and it works very well with lenses up to 300mm, DSO's covers a multitude of things from tiny ones needing 2500mm focal length to get a glimpse of them to those much bigger than the full moon requiring a wide angle lens.

Dave

• Thanks 1

Hi Dave,

Sorry I wasn't clear, I'm kinda new to all this, what I meant is DSO like horsehead nebulae, North American nebula, m31...

But now I'm curious... which DSO requires 2500mm of focal length? Sorry if it's a dumb question but it really caught my eye 👀

Thanks,

S

Lot's of very small planetary nebula and galaxies up there, some galaxies need 10" 2500mm to get any detail, on the other hand it only gets the core of M31.

Does a nice Horsehead close up though.

Dave

Edited by Davey-T
  • Like 1

I have the iOptron SkyTracker Pro, and love it. I have mounted my C-90 Mak on it via a ball head, but it isn’t fun. The scope is just a tad heavy, but this doesn’t effect tracking accuracy. The not fun part is getting the target locked into the center of the FOV, and not upsetting polar alignment. It takes two or three adjustments to get the target centered and alignment set. I use a heavy duty transit level tripod made by Bosch modified slightly to lock down the tracker base, and that part is rock steady. I’m not into the DSO/planetary photography side, but have watched Jupiter for hours with this setup. It’s so tough to get things right switching targets isn’t done on a whim. However when I mount my phone to capture meteors I can get 20 minute exposures with nice round stars, but this requires really nailing down that alignment. The little scope and app from iOptron make that fairly easy. The tracker just shifts alignment a little with a load when fiddling with targeting, and needs to be corrected.

I am about to pull the trigger on an iOptron CEM25P, which should turn the whole ordeal into a pleasure. I’ll still use the little tracker, but just to capture meteor falls. I’m sold on iOptron mechanics. My tracker is 4 years old, and the battery can run the mount all night and then some.

• Like 1

On 09/07/2020 at 01:05, theropod said:

I have the iOptron SkyTracker Pro, and love it. I have mounted my C-90 Mak on it via a ball head, but it isn’t fun. The scope is just a tad heavy, but this doesn’t effect tracking accuracy. The not fun part is getting the target locked into the center of the FOV, and not upsetting polar alignment. It takes two or three adjustments to get the target centered and alignment set. I use a heavy duty transit level tripod made by Bosch modified slightly to lock down the tracker base, and that part is rock steady. I’m not into the DSO/planetary photography side, but have watched Jupiter for hours with this setup. It’s so tough to get things right switching targets isn’t done on a whim. However when I mount my phone to capture meteors I can get 20 minute exposures with nice round stars, but this requires really nailing down that alignment. The little scope and app from iOptron make that fairly easy. The tracker just shifts alignment a little with a load when fiddling with targeting, and needs to be corrected.

I am about to pull the trigger on an iOptron CEM25P, which should turn the whole ordeal into a pleasure. I’ll still use the little tracker, but just to capture meteor falls. I’m sold on iOptron mechanics. My tracker is 4 years old, and the battery can run the mount all night and then some.

Does the iOptron come with the counterweight kit? That is what kind of throws me off the iOptron. Also,does it come with a ball head adapter?

No to both. However a counterweight can be DIY’ed pretty easily. Replace the stock brass 1/4” X 20 threaded mounting stud with a longer steel bolt. A securing nut is then placed atop the channel, then an oversized flat washer and finally the ball head (or other scope mounting system). A stiff steel channel like used for drawer slides drilled and mated to the new bolt at the padded flat of the tracker. A set of “Vise Grip” locking pliers can then clamp down something/anything to the channel, and be moved in/out as needed. If I find a need for such this is my plan of action.

The big problem will be balance as the circular mounting pad where the mounting bolt protrudes is not clutched in any way. 2 small screws lock the pad to the tracker, and the iOptron counterweight system provides a third similar screw to make the attached bar/weight more robust. Even then there will be balancing issues as these screws are all that connect the padded part to the main drive spindle, and not locked down will spin oddly and not true.

The mount is actually intended for a DSLR with a modest lens. When kept well under its load limit it tracks very well. It’s simple to polar align, and the illuminated alignment scope is clear and crisp with focus adjusting.

With just my iPhone 6 plus my widefield shots are superb when I nail down alignment. As I wrote before mounting my C-90 Mak is about all the mount can handle. Counterweight(s) wouldn’t correct the issues I have in this regard.

If you need a scope mount I would look at a more robust mount as these are mainly just trackers. Great little trackers, but not designed to carry a scope of substance. This is why I’m about to order the CEM25P.

Hope this helps.

902761BE-FFDC-4491-ABCD-4E63224419EE.thumb.jpeg.f4755eae72a6f8933d21fe8ce7a866fb.jpeg

Here is a Perseid (and airplane headed to Memphis, TN) fall from 4 years ago using the SkyTracker. This is a 5 minute exposure, and I hadn’t learned how to fine tune the alignment yet. Taken with my iPhone 6 plus with no editing whatsoever. I have picts with perfect stars, but no meteors this nice.

I’m seriously considering a nice DSLR to use in my meteor hunts. The iPhone does the job, but just barely, and then only running NightCap Camera app. On hot summer nights the noise can go through the roof. I see picts with the core of the Milky Way and lust.