Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SW 130pds or Evostar 72ed

I'm trying to fine-tune my new equipment and narrow the list of possibilities. I've done lots of research, and found lots of good advice already on here.

I've picked up the AZ GTi mount with Manfrotto 055 xprob tripod - and awaiting the EQ wedge, bar and counter weights. I've also awaiting the delivery of a Canon 600d with t ring and adapter. So I feel I'm slowly getting there.

I currently have a 130p (which the AZ GTi handles well) which I know is going to be a nightmare for AP, so am looking to sell this - and through my research (and budget) I have narrowed the choices down to either a SW 130pds or a Evostar 72ed. This is also to do with weight as well as budget, as the AZ GTi has a max payload of 5kg. Perhaps in the future whichever scope I don't get now, I will do later.

I know there isn't necessarily a scope that will do it all, so I guess it may be helpful to know my main goals will be DSO AP - I know this may be tricky with the mount but I've seen some great examples of what can be achieved so I'm happy putting the time in to learn as I go - I just don't want to lose the ability of visual too. 

From what I've seen so far the 72ed may be better at AP than the 130pds, but the 130pds quite an all-rounder but better for visual - but it's possible with both scopes to do both activities. Local travel with the scope would be useful which again puts the 72ed slightly in front.

I've read about them individually but would love to hear anyone's thoughts or comparisons between the two.

Edited by dd999

I think this comes down to your preference of Newtonian Vs Refractor- I know the 130pds is a very fine scope for AP from personal experience. 72ed owners are very positive about their scope as well. Both are light, so the mount requirements aren't too bad. The 130 will need collimating from time to time, will want a coma corrector and will give you diffraction spikes which are a bit marmite. OTOH it has more aperture and focal length. The 72 will want a flattener but it's almost totally maintenance free. Either way you'll have a good astrograph.

• Like 1

I would go for 130PDS except for intended mount - it is rather limited.

In my view 130PDS has edge in AP and visual. Only advantage 72ED has is portability and small size. It is wide field and travel scope.

130PDS has 4Kg without any accessories. Add CC and 600d and you'll be pushing your mount quite a bit. You also need to think mount precision regardless of the weight. AZ-GTI is wide field imaging mount, so wide field scope is really only suitable option (next to of course imaging with lens - which are inherently wider field since they are shorter FL than almost any scope out there).

I took this using my 72ED and it is indeed a fine scope for the money. It is quite small and light so I can put it on top of my star adventurer mount. The only pet peeve for me is the dovetail which should ideally be replaced with a longer one as declination balance cannot be properly achieved especially with a camera on the end. 

Leo Triplet.PNG

Edited by Nerf_Caching
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

I would go for 130PDS except for intended mount - it is rather limited.

In my view 130PDS has edge in AP and visual. Only advantage 72ED has is portability and small size. It is wide field and travel scope.

130PDS has 4Kg without any accessories. Add CC and 600d and you'll be pushing your mount quite a bit. You also need to think mount precision regardless of the weight. AZ-GTI is wide field imaging mount, so wide field scope is really only suitable option (next to of course imaging with lens - which are inherently wider field since they are shorter FL than almost any scope out there).

Thanks and yes that does make sense - although I have only just bought the AZ GTi. I have the same reservations about the size of the 130pds. I know I'll be pushing the payload to 5kg with a dslr - and I really should only be maxing out at 3.5kg.

Unfortunately I probably will need to go with a scope that meets the mounts needs. I will though have a 130p to try on before I need to upgrade (which should be the same size). I can look at how it tracks fully loaded,

20 minutes ago, Nerf_Caching said:

I took this using my 72ED and it is indeed a fine scope for the money. It is quite small and light so I can put it on top of my star adventurer mount. The only pet peeve for me is the dovetail which should ideally be replaced with a longer one as declination balance cannot be properly achieved especially with a camera on the end. 

Leo Triplet.PNG

Nice shot!