Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Deciding which filter to invest in for OSC DSLR

Hi,

It would be good to get your advice on which filter I should consider investing in. I would ideally like to only buy one filter, as the cost of having two or three filters quickly adds. 

A bit of background, I would like to use the filter either directly onto a Canon EOS 5d Mk3 or with a WO Redcat 51. Currently I am undecided on which filter to add in. I tend to be imaging in and around Bortle 4-6 skies, so naturally an LP filter like this Canon filter or this  might seem like a good fit. The full frame canon filter does cost more for the same thing, the advantage of it is that it slots right on to the camera sensor reducing any potential vignetting problems, but if I change the camera to a dedicated astro camera it probably becomes redundant, so I would rule it out and go with the 2" filter that would slot in with the Redcat. That being said, the cool thing with an LP filter for the Canon is that it could help with getting some really nice Milkyway shots, so its another thing to consider. 

However, considering that most of  the targets  I would like to be capturing are likely going to be big nebula with the redcat should I be more in the market for one of these, a duo narrowband filter of some description. As I understand it the Narrowband does block LP as well, so it could be a two birds one stone situation. 

Ideally, I'd like to settle with just one filter, especially because I have recently gone mono with my other set up and the filter costs what with the wheel and Halpha filters and all that are really starting to make a considerable dent in my wallet. 

Best,

The dual narrowband filters are popular right now, but I wouldn't recommend it for an unmodified DSLR as they are just not sensitive enough to Ha to make it worthwhile. If you Canon is modifed, this makes more sense.

I also used the IDAS D2 in my DSLR and it worked great for reducing light polution. If you go for the 2" or the full frame is really down to what you feel you will get the most use out of. The 2" could be transfered between cameras in the future whereas the full frame will be stuck in the DSLR forever.

In the interest of keeping cost down in the short term, it could be worth going for the full frame to do broadband targets with the DSLR and then in the long term, investing in a dedicated camera with the narrowband filter for nebula targets. It just really depends how much you plan to spend in the future. There isnt really one perfect setup that does all types of targets at once.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, CloudMagnet said:

The dual narrowband filters are popular right now, but I wouldn't recommend it for an unmodified DSLR as they are just not sensitive enough to Ha to make it worthwhile. If you Canon is modifed, this makes more sense.

Thanks for the response. 

Ah that's good to know, I didn't know that. I'll probably tend towards the LP filter then. 

Another question I had was do you know if people ever put a multiple filters in the same image train, so an LP filter and say a HA filter or and LP filter and any of the LRGB filters? Actually a HA or O filter probably blocks out LP anyway? So I guess an LP filter with LRGB?

Best

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 5haan_A said:

Another question I had was do you know if people ever put a multiple filters in the same image train, so an LP filter and say a HA filter or and LP filter and any of the LRGB filters? Actually a HA or O filter probably blocks out LP anyway? So I guess an LP filter with LRGB?

Dont think it has been done, the Ha filter will block out any light polution so the second filter would be redundant. It is still handy to keep both types of filter though. Broadband LP filter for galaxies/ star clusters and a narrowband filter for nebula targets.