NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Help - Astrophotography with a 130p

I'm trying to join some dots on some research Ive been doing, and wonder if someone can help me confirm my assumption. 

I have a SW 130p (not the pds version) and wanted to try my hand on some AP. 

I've read that a dslr can't achieve focus on a 130p - but can using a Barlow. 

Would a simple 2 inch Barlow be enough for a dslr to achieve focus on a 130p?

Edited by dd999

Hi

Most cameras designed for astrophotography will focus fine.

If you want to use a DSLR, that's where you'd need a Barlow, but unless you've changed the focuser,  a 2" version won't fit. Try instead a 1 1/4" version. There was most likely one supplied with the telescope.

You'll also need a t adaptor for your camera into which the Barlow screws.

HTH

Edited by alacant
T ring

Thanks - although I specifically read it was a problem with the 130p which is unable to be used with a dslr (which is why SW brought out the 130pds) - but a potential way around was with a Barlow. 

I have a 1.25 inch 2x Barlow already but about to invest in a dslr. I guess I didn't want to unless I knew I could use with the 130p (and Barlow) otherwise I'd have to change the scope too! 

Hi again. There are many different solutions to get a DSLR in focus on a 130p. The Barlow is among them.

Only you can decide what's acceptable and no amount of reading or research online is going to join the dots you need.

My advice would be go along to an astro club and let them show you first hand the results you'd get with a DSLR, Barlow and your 130. Armed with that experience, you can then make an informed decision on DSLR purchase or otherwise...

Cheers

Edited by alacant

2 hours ago, alacant said:

Hi again. There are many different solutions to get a DSLR in focus on a 130p. The Barlow is among them.

Only you can decide what's acceptable and no amount of reading or research online is going to join the dots you need.

My advice would be go along to an astro club and let them show you first hand the results you'd get with a DSLR, Barlow and your 130. Armed with that experience, you can then make an informed decision on DSLR purchase or otherwise...

Cheers

I appreciate the reply and it does make sense, I guess I just wanted to find out if it were at least possible - which you've helped answer the question :)

Hi,

Love the 130P it's where I started ! :)
There are 3 problems with DSLR astro-photography with the 130p.

1/ Cant get focuser in far enough - standard solution is use barlow. (I also moved my primary mirror inwards a few mm using the collimation bolts)
2/ No focus lock - weight of the DSLR can easily move the focuser - solution rotate the OTA in the tube to keep focuser horizontal (see pic)
3/ If you've followed '2' the weight of the DSLR and barlow is now acting on the plastic focuser and bending it slightly downwards. this can lead to some weird coma type effects.

Using a (not too heavy) astro cam should alleviate all of theses problems and is what I would recommend.

I'm not saying don't try it  ( I learned a huge amount with mine) just be aware that its always going to be a compromised starting point.
best of luck & clear Skies :)

IMG_20191209_192614.jpg

1 hour ago, Eddie Jones said:

Hi,

Love the 130P it's where I started ! :)
There are 3 problems with DSLR astro-photography with the 130p.

1/ Cant get focuser in far enough - standard solution is use barlow. (I also moved my primary mirror inwards a few mm using the collimation bolts)
2/ No focus lock - weight of the DSLR can easily move the focuser - solution rotate the OTA in the tube to keep focuser horizontal (see pic)
3/ If you've followed '2' the weight of the DSLR and barlow is now acting on the plastic focuser and bending it slightly downwards. this can lead to some weird coma type effects.

Using a (not too heavy) astro cam should alleviate all of theses problems and is what I would recommend.

I'm not saying don't try it  ( I learned a huge amount with mine) just be aware that its always going to be a compromised starting point.
best of luck & clear Skies :)

IMG_20191209_192614.jpg

Thank you! - this is really helpful!

Knowing that even with a barlow (and mirror move you did) still then creates the problem of not having a focuser lock and movement there - I can see it's a hassle already. Is this not also a problem on the 130pds, does that have a focus lock?

I'm a little new to this, so when you say an astro cam can achieve focus in a 130p, (I assume like a mobile phone can) do you mean a astro webcam or something like a ZWO imaging camera ( https://www.firstlightoptics.com/zwo-cameras/zwo-asi120mc-s-usb-3-colour-camera.html ) ?

Edited by dd999
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, dd999 said:

Thank you! - this is really helpful!

Knowing that even with a barlow (and mirror move you did) still then creates the problem of not having a focuser lock and movement there - I can see it's a hassle already. Is this not also a problem on the 130pds, does that have a focus lock?

I'm a little new to this, so when you say an astro cam can achieve focus in a 130p, (I assume like a mobile phone can) do you mean a astro webcam or something like a ZWO imaging camera ( https://www.firstlightoptics.com/zwo-cameras/zwo-asi120mc-s-usb-3-colour-camera.html ) ?

Still relatively new to this myself :)
Yes, the ASI120mc will likely fit and 'probably' focus well it is aimed at lunar / planetary rather than deep-sky (this may/may not be a problem for you.)

Unfortunately, I only have experience of DSLRs so it would be wise to do more research before buying !! hopefully another user / expert will be here to help soon :)

Appreciate your help - tbh the focuser movement alone has swayed me to look in to selling the 130p and upgrade the scope to a 130pds (which I haven't seen anyone mention a focuser movement issue with dslr), or even a SW 72 ED

I'm also a lover of the 130p though, such a versatile little scope

• Like 1