Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SVBony CLS or Optolong L-Pro light pollution filter?

FaB-Bo-Peep

Hi everyone,

Over the years I have been amazed by what I can capture from my severely light polluted back garden but some targets really suffer with lack of contrast and details are just lost in a sea of light pollution. 

In an attempt to at least partially combat this issue I am thinking of buying either a SVBony CLS or Optolong L-Pro light pollution filter. It is my understanding that the CLS is stronger in the amount of light pollution it blocks but also blocks some good light in the yellow / orange range of the spectrum making it more tricky or even impossible to achieve natural looking results during processing.  My scope is a Skywatcher 250PDS which obviously gathers a lot of light so I'm not too concerned about needing longer exposures, (especially as I've just started guiding), but while the extra light pollution blocking power of the CLS is appealing I'm a bit concerned that with my very limited processing skills I simply won't be able to get back the yellow / orange in my images and if this is the case would probably regret not going for the Optolong L-Pro.

I would be going for the 2" threaded version to attach to my coma corrector rather than the Canon clip in variant as this way I can continue to use it should I ever change my camera.

What are your thoughts / experiences with the above mentioned filters please?

Thanks in advance.

😀

sw3.jpg.5ba9203bce0a028ce562df8feb9c3b3b.jpgsw2.jpg.14aec2a66f7796546c19aef0699f5430.jpgsw1.jpg.59647f956649714167da152f10220725.jpg

It's going to depend on what is making the light pollution. If you have the orange sodium street lights then I would go with the CLS. If you have the white LED street lights then you need something like the IDAS D2. No experience of the L Pro I'm afraid.

Peter

• Like 1