NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Transit of Ganymede

barkingsteve

has the sharpening caused the moire pattern? Shame about the conditions last night- i watched Io appear off the limb closely followed by tack sharp Ganymede shadow which should have been followed by GRS! but thin hazy cloud swept in obliterating Antares first then the planets so i packed in. something nasty has been eating my feet out there so the change in weather is actually a welcome relief! 

5 hours ago, markse68 said:

has the sharpening caused the moire pattern? Shame about the conditions last night- i watched Io appear off the limb closely followed by tack sharp Ganymede shadow which should have been followed by GRS! but thin hazy cloud swept in obliterating Antares first then the planets so i packed in. something nasty has been eating my feet out there so the change in weather is actually a welcome relief! 

Sharpening doesn't help but the colour channels alignment is different from the top of Jupiter to the middle. I am still pretty new to imaging the planets so not sure what could be causing this. i have tried again with the data but still the same issue though i have eased back on the sharpening a tad and dropped the 1.5 drizzle.

l.png.3f80f6a3fce396191fd31a6fd1ee0f61.png

Edited by barkingsteve
  • Like 2

I tried imaging the same event with a C8, ASI224MC, ADC.  The seeing did not look great, and the results, processed in Registax6, (best 20% of 5000 frames) were so poor I am deleting most of them. They look worse than images made a few days ago with my smaller 127mm Mak.  I don't think it was a focus problem as I focused on a star, Altair. 

In previous seasons I have found the results with the C8 imaging very variable - I assume due to the seeing. I am imaging from a town with built-up area for at least a mile to the south.  What is the terrain like at your location?

Hi Geoff,

I am 12 miles from central London, so pretty built up 😕 i have hundreds of houses, flats and a major A road within 1/2 mile south of where i am imaging.  I get to see the planets for a couple of hours due to the houses opposite and an annoying neighbour's tree. Seeing is so important when imaging the planets, so yeah seeing was poor on the night. This image was the best from about 10 files, some with a barlow but i have had no luck whatsoever using a barlow so far.

I have tried with an altair astro ADC and for the life of me, i cannot see any difference when i play with the levers. I am sure i am using it right but had no luck with it. Hoping for more clear skies soon so i can get a bit more practice in :D  but might have to wait a few years until the planets are at a higher altitude before i can get an image i can shout about :)