NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Recommended Tracking Mounts?

Hi 

So I've recently been taking photos and stacking with an unmodded, unguided dslr and I was pretty surprised at the quality being better than I expected, obviously the major roadblock to progressing further is getting a good mount, however this also seems to be one of the more expensive pieces of equipment. I looked at the Sky Watcher HEQ5, but obviously this is quite expensive, even with it being one of the cheaper high quality mounts so I was wondering if there are any good cheaper alternatives for someone just starting out?

Thanks

If you only want to mount a camera with a short f/l lens you could try a Sky  Adventurer, if you want to use a scope, then HEQ5 is the minimum.

Others will be along shortly to offer other alternatives to the SW Star Adventurer

For just a camera, a clockwork mout like the Omegon is compact, works on a camera tripod and not as expensive as a driven scope mount.

https://www.omegon.eu/camera-mounts/omegon-mount-mini-track-lx2/p,55040

For a small scope capable mount, a drive EQ3-2 is a less expensive option BUT you may soon fin yourself increasing the load on the mount and then need to upgrade to an HEQ5.

I started by buying the motor upgrade kit for my manual EQ3-2 and doing it myself.

• 2 weeks later...

The Star Adventurer or iOptron will be fine with a small refractor or something like the William Optics Redcat.
Also .... these can be used with ST4 for autoguiding at a later date if required.

Matthew

• Like 2