NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

A summer (nearly) night of doubles

IB20

So last night I had a bright, hazy but clear night to observe so I decided to focus on doubles! I only discovered a few days ago that the double double was actual a double double, rather than a single double, which kind of blew my head a bit.

After checking my collimation with a 25mm and 10mm (stock EPs, I have new EPs on order...) on Arcturus, I swivelled straight round to my "home" constellation. People say Lyra is boring but I have a huge affinity for it; my 8" dob arrived just as Vega and M57 were dominating the views from my doorstep. I did check out M57 cos I always do, feels like my part piece, still ring like and visible two days before the solstice, what a beauty.

I was determined to resolve the double double into a double double rather than the single double and using the stock 10mm EP (which I think is fairly average), I had success. Viewing was kind and in between turbulent wobbles I could make out two doubles, exhilarating but annoying that I hadn't paid as much attention before. I'm a bit of a careless viewer, I do things quickly and thus miss detail. I'm learning that patience in viewing is as important as locating, cooling equipment, lenses etc. 

Then ignoring what I've just written I switched on SkySafari double star observing list and I went on a spree of double hunting.  I've never really been that into star viewing but last night I loved it. It was awesome. Albireo was absolutely stunning, real definition of colour. Then to my favourite constellation; zeta and delta lyrae beautiful colours. Next onto Omicron1 Cygni, just wow, stunning. Being a scientist I've always appreciated what the universe is, yet I've looked up for 30 years and never really appreciated its visual beauty before.

On a roll now, next 16 cygni, quite hard to find then boom, but less impressive than the majestic colours I'd just seen. Why not try and find the blinking planetary nebula? Nothing, maybe too bright, maybe I'll save that for when my upgraded lenses and filters arrive?! Ha!

Then to Al Fawaris; nope not a chance, maybe darker skies and better gear??

Now I'm all over the shop, back to my home constellation and Sheliak... stop. A double? a triple? a quadruple? Just majesty, incredible, it's made me love Lyra even more, I'm team definitely team Lyra.

Then I can see Altair and still using Skysafari I find Alya. Again, I'm amazed at how beautiful it is. Next onto Raselgethi, again just wow. It really is impressive.

Getting later now, and Cepheus is showing up, even after all this viewing, observing delta cephei still made me smug, it looked fantastic. As it was near the elephant trunk nebula, I wondered if I could see it, but alas far too light for such viewing. Yet I did stumble upon the Garnet Star it looked sensational. I've viewed it more than once but it really took my breath away last night.

I thought my moments of wow would be DSOs, but star viewing has really impressed and I'm looking forward to splitting trickier doubles than what I've described. Just hurry up FLO with the eyepieces!! Who said summer viewing wasn't any good??!

#teamLyra

• Like 10