NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Flats showing up possible alignment issue?

Hi

How does the flat frame look if you rotate the camera 90º?

How do the flat calibrated images look?  i'm guessing good since you mention that collimation via the Cheshire looks good. If the latter has cross hairs, then even more confirmation. 

OTOH, if the stars look distorted, time to investigate.

Firstly, be sure to read the collimation myths. then, to help us diagnose, post a shot through a simple central hole collimation cap and also through the Cheshire. (links to) A light frame and a flat frame, the camera you used and its orientation would help nail it if necessary.

Cheers and HTH

Edited by alacant

2 hours ago, alacant said:

Hi

How does the flat frame look if you rotate the camera 90º?

How do the flat calibrated images look?  i'm guessing good since you mention that collimation via the Cheshire looks good. If the latter has cross hairs, then even more confirmation. 

OTOH, if the stars look distorted, time to investigate.

Firstly, be sure to read the collimation myths. then, to help us diagnose, post a shot through a simple central hole collimation cap and also through the Cheshire. (links to) A light frame and a flat frame, the camera you used and its orientation would help nail it if necessary.

Cheers and HTH

thank you very much

i am going to have a look at this later and try and get some diagnostic images up

Ah, ok. There's the third thumbscrew at 120° trick but even so, I've never had consistency with it on either an ed80 or a 130pds.

Not sure what telescope you have but the items you mention are likely to cost more than the telescope itself whereas the old sw 63mm single speed rack and pinion focusers are much better at holding heavy loads than the ds will ever be. They also  bolt straight onto the existing baseplate.

Have a look here.

Cheers.

Edited by alacant

35 minutes ago, alacant said:

Ah, ok. There's the third thumbscrew at 120° trick but even so, I've never had consistency with it on either an ed80 or a 130pds.

Not sure what telescope you have but the items you mention are likely to cost more than the telescope itself whereas the old sw 63mm single speed rack and pinion focusers are much better at holding heavy loads than the ds will ever be. They also  bolt straight onto the existing baseplate.

Have a look here.

Cheers.

I have a 200pds

I do like the fine adjust but it's always struggled with my dslr