SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Europa or Io?

Sunshine

Last night, after cracking my head open trying to split Zeta Herc, i noticed Jupiter and Saturn had come into view from behind a neighbouring house. Training my frac on Jupiter, i was surprised to see a beautiful sight that was either Io or Europa slowly making its way around the Jovian limb. Pulling up SkySafari and zooming into jupiter, it had Io transiting across an equatorial belt but, no label for Europa which i thought was the moon that was just about to disappear behind Jupiter. One shadow was clearly visible as a sharply defined black dot smack in the middle of an equatorial belt.  If indeed it was Io which was just about to occult, then it would have been Europa's shadow i observed, i'm not sure which was which as SkySafari didn't seem to label Europa.

This was at about 2:30Am.

Edited by Sunshine

1 hour ago, kerrylewis said:

The Sky and Telescope Jupiter Moons app will answer all your questions. It shows all the moon and shadow events  - past present and future in a very straightforward manner. Well worth acquiring 

+1 for Jupiter Moons and its companion app Saturn Moons; assuming you own an iOS device; as it is not supported on Android OS devices.

According to Jupiter Moons it was 'Io' - I think Toronto 🇨🇦 is 5 hours behind GB/UK 🇬🇧 - so I set it for 07:30BST [06:30UTC/GMT].

Edited by Philip R
  • Thanks 1