Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Moon appreciation effort 2

Sam

Here's the shots from last night. I think thet're a bit sharper than the ones I posted on the 3rd due to a slower framerate and a bit more careful focusing. The new motor focuser is working a treat. They are all about 400 frames stacked out of 1800. I record for 90 seconds at 10 FPS with two avi's of each. They are stacked in registax and orientated the right way in Gimp.

The first is Archimedes. I am very happy that some of the craterlets are visible on the floor of the crater in this one.

11556_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

next is Clavius, though it's a bit dark this is by far the most detail I've managed to capture on Clavius.

11557_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

This interesting crater is called Gauricus. I found the sides with the little craters in them quite interesting.

11559_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Plato, a very popular subject for imaging and I'm entirely happy with this one as it's too dark and not as sharp I would like. I'm not stopping with this until I get the craterlets.

11560_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Rupes Recta - also known as the straight wall. This really stood out last night and quite a nice feature to have imaged.

11561_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Thanks for looking

Sam

An excellent set of moon images Sam. You managed to get some fine detail on Clavius as the crater was pretty dark last night.

I was also out last night in NZ with the borrowed orange tube C8 - the moon was of course the right way up down here!

8)

MD

Thanks MD, I've decided to reorientate my images so they look like they are supposed to in this part of the world, normally I just leave them as that looks normal to me :hello2:

It's funny how we can both be observing the same object but from different sides of the world!

Sam

I'll have to re-orientate myself with the Northern sky when I get back to the UK.

I was out last night trying to image with the web cam on the old C8. Since the C8's got a dodgy motor and even dodgier slow motions I have to fight to try and keep the image on the screen. It drifts to an alarming degree and I'm lucky if I can get 30 secs of AVI before the crater etc disappears off the screen. It's all good fun though!

8)

MD

Archived