Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Help need to set up...

howtf6.jpg

I need my first bit of help, and remember I have a very cheap telescope and know NOTHING. In my book it has a page on settings up “Handling Latitude” it says:

“Adjust the latitude axis (A) (Poleheight), by loosening the fixings. Change the angle by using the adjustment screw. The degree at whish you set the axis depends on the degree of your locationd, what parts of the coordinates correspond with the cranks on my telescope?

EG +89º 15'15.1

89 = Crank A

15’ = Crank B

15.1 = Crank C

I hope you understand what im trying to say. If now just ask me.

Tom

Welcome to the crazy world of telescope mountings. The good news is that its not all "black magic"

The dial shown as A in the photo should be set to your latitude ie 52 or so degrees.

The other two axis will show different readings depending on where and when you are viewing.

To get started, adjust "A" to 52 deg, and if you know where the Polar star is in your sky (?) take the mounting out and "point" the top of the A axis ( properly known as the Polar axis, why? because it should point to the pole star!!) towards the pole star as best you can.

By loosening the plastic knobs you should be able to move the scope around to point it to the object to be viewed ie the Moon! lock the knobs and by using the handles on the ends of the flexible cables you should be able to "hold" the Moon in the eyepiece.

Let us know how you go; we all started somewhere!!!

Ok I think im half way there...

Do you mean Loosen this?

93168663wr7.jpg

So I take it I turn the mount around to point where the Polar star would be. (Also I cant see Polar star from my flat, so can I just point it north with a compass) also what part needs to go north? the crank thats sticking out the back of (A) or the other side?

Here is a great website that will explain how to move the scope to point it at objects. http://www.astronomyboy.com/eq/

Dial B is on the Right Ascension axis - the scope will rotate around this access to follow and object. This is equivalent to Longitude on Earth. Using the knob which connects to this axis will keep on object in the eyepiece field of view.

Theoretically, it is possible to use these dials to locate an object in the night sky, but in reality they are too small to do so. So ignore them.

Dial C is the Declination axis. Basically, this is how high an object - equivalent to Earth's Latitude.

Jumping a little bit ahead abit with some extra info that may be of help.

1) Before using the scope at night you need to align the finder scope (the little one on top with the main scope). Put the Eyepiece with the biggest number written on it in the focuser. Point the telescope at a distance object like a TV aerial as far away as possible so you can see it in the eyepiece and adjust the focuser knob so you have a sharp image. You will find the finderscope is not pointing at the same object. Using the 6 small screws on the mount djust the finderscope so the centre of the crosshairs are pointing that the same aerial. Now whenever you point at an object using the finderscope it will appear in the main scope eyepiece.

Always start with the eyepiece with the biggest number as it gives the lowest magnification. Once the object is found you can using higher magnifications.

Mike

I will check the URL out later mike as the sky has ended its show for the tonight.... so I think im going to call it a night...

I've already had the joy of setting up my view finder and thats working great now.

Thanks for you help so far guys. I will post again tomorrow once I've had another go.

Tom

EDIT: Mike, I've done the 52º part ok, I just wanted to know what part should be facing north.... but that info might be in the above URL that I will check later.

Thanks again

Tom

Archived