Solar Observing in White Light: 07-06-2020

John

I've just been observing this nice group of sunspots which have been designated AR 12765. Nice group comprising a decent sized spot with well defined umbra and penumbra and next to it 4 other smaller spots 2 of which might be splitting into pairs. There is another active are on the disk (AR 12764) but that does not show activity that can be observed using the white light setup that I have.

Seen through hazy cloud so 60x or so is the most useful magnification. My equipment today is a Vixen ED 102mm F/6.5 refractor fitted with a Lunt Herschel Wedge and a zoom eyepiece.

Nice group of spots considering the paucity of activity that we have had recently.

I've attached a live image from NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory which is much better than I can snap with my mobile phone !

sol0706201122bst.jpg

• Like 1

I'm also battling with high haze and passing clouds at the moment.  Decent view at 40x with my 80mm f7.5 achro and Herschel wedge.  Any higher magnification and the view is distinctly mushy.

Can't get a decent pic with my phone either, so here's one of my set-up instead! 🤭

IMG_20200607_120052.jpg

• Like 1