Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Camera for off-axis guiding?

kmaslin

I have been using a Altair GPCAM2 130M camera with a 60mm guide scope on my CEM40/8" Celestron SCT setup and works ok

However when I try to use it on installed Celestron off-axis unit - it is very hit and miss as to whether I can find a guide star in the field of view even if I crank up the gain etc. Is the sensitivity of the camera not up to it?

Would you recommend an upgrade in the mono camera or any other changes/settings that I might have missed?

Could continue as-is with the guide scope but have other plans for that and also want to get full use from the off-axis unit

Cheers Keith

Binning the GPCAM in PHD2 will increase sensitivity, if that camera allows. .

Try creating a FOV frame in your planetarum for the imaging camera, with additionally a correctly sized OAG frame positioned the correct distance from the centre of the imaging FOV, on the long side of the imager's FOV.

Then position over target, offset and rotate to put a bright star in the OAG FOV.

Note RA and Dec of centre of imaging FOV and Goto that.

Michael

21 hours ago, kmaslin said:

I have been using a Altair GPCAM2 130M camera with a 60mm guide scope on my CEM40/8" Celestron SCT setup and works ok

However when I try to use it on installed Celestron off-axis unit - it is very hit and miss as to whether I can find a guide star in the field of view even if I crank up the gain etc. Is the sensitivity of the camera not up to it?

Would you recommend an upgrade in the mono camera or any other changes/settings that I might have missed?

Could continue as-is with the guide scope but have other plans for that and also want to get full use from the off-axis unit

Cheers Keith

How are you finding the C8 on your CEM40 ? Does it need two counter weights ?