Arp214/NGC3718

don4l

I've always fancied imaging unusual objects and this is my first Arp galaxy.  The image was taken in March, but I wasn't able to produce anything acceptable from the data.  This was probably down to lack of experience with LRGB imaging.  Tonight, I had another go, and got a much better result than previously.

Arp214 is a peculiar galaxy in Ursa Major, also known as NGC3718.  This image was taken with a TAL200k and a G3 16200 camera on an EQ6.  L= 313m, R 48m, G 52m and B 108m.  Total 8h 41m.

The Tal  is not designed for photography, and has a very curved FOV.  About 20% has been cropped, but some curvature is still visible.

Comments and advice welcome.

arp.jpg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, don4l said:

I've always fancied imaging unusual objects and this is my first Arp galaxy.  The image was taken in March, but I wasn't able to produce anything acceptable from the data.  This was probably down to lack of experience with LRGB imaging.  Tonight, I had another go, and got a much better result than previously.

Arp214 is a peculiar galaxy in Ursa Major, also known as NGC3718.  This image was taken with a TAL200k and a G3 16200 camera on an EQ6.  L= 313m, R 48m, G 52m and B 108m.  Total 8h 41m.

The Tal  is not designed for photography, and has a very curved FOV.  About 20% has been cropped, but some curvature is still visible.

Comments and advice welcome.

arp.jpg

You could prob increase the colour but it’s a lovely image as it is. I actually have data of this from April. Have processed it twice, gave up both times. 

10 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

You could prob increase the colour but it’s a lovely image as it is. I actually have data of this from April. Have processed it twice, gave up both times

Your standards are higher than mine.  I seem to remember you posted something and it was very good.  Nevertheless, it's interesting that you gave up twice, because that is exactly what happened to me.

I gathered about 4 hours of data in March, and wasn't able to produce an image.  I had another go a couple of weeks later when I concentrated on gathering more "L".  I still couldn't produce anything, so I gave up/put it to one side.

I've become more confident at LRGB imaging this "galaxy season", and tonight I tackled the data again.  This time I concentrated on flattening the backgrounds in the R, G and B data and that made a big difference.

Hopefully, I'll get more data next year.

• Like 1