Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Cygnus region (Single 20min Sub - Ha)

Z3roCool

Whilst I was setting up and planning my imaging on Cygnus I thought I would push the mount (NEQ6) to see what length sub it could manage - max I have tried is 6 minutes guides. I pointed in the general direction of Cygnus and tried a 20 minute sub. Was quite surprised it came out fairly okay! 

Gear used:

ZWO 1600MM Pro

Canon 400mm lens

Cygnus-X2.jpg

• Like 8

1 minute ago, TareqPhoto said:

Very nice

Which Canon 400 lens did you use? And did you stop it somehow?

Thanks, it is the Canon 400 5.6 L. I stopped it down on my camera to f7 and then mounted onto my ASI. Stars are still not great but a lot better than at 5.6

Ah ok, i hope i can stop my Canon lens as well, i tried my Canon camera 1 series and also Sony mirrorless and it never stop it down, i will see if i can with an old camera as many said i need that DoF button on the camera.

32 minutes ago, TareqPhoto said:

Ah ok, i hope i can stop my Canon lens as well, i tried my Canon camera 1 series and also Sony mirrorless and it never stop it down, i will see if i can with an old camera as many said i need that DoF button on the camera.

I just stuck it on my body and changed to Aperture Priority and then set. Turned camera off and put on the ASI. Pretty sure it worked as could see the difference, especially when I do it on my 70-200 f2.8.

46 minutes ago, Z3roCool said:

I just stuck it on my body and changed to Aperture Priority and then set. Turned camera off and put on the ASI. Pretty sure it worked as could see the difference, especially when I do it on my 70-200 f2.8.

I will give it a try and see although i remember i tried all the modes, M, A, S even P, but i will try and see, thanks

That has come out very nicely.  If your guiding is up to 6 minutes there's no reason why you shouldn't be good for whatever length of sub you want, well 8 mins to be certain given that the NEQ has full worm cycle around that time.  I imagine, with south Derbyshire skies and your ZWO that your read noise will be overwhelmed by sky glow well before 20 mins so longer than you need but nice to know the kit can do it.