NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Advise on Finders for 4 inch refractors

I only use a RDF, no finder scope as such. I find this enough for my visual needs. 

Is there anyone else who takes this route?

What do you consider the best RDF for use on its own not including telerads and rigels.

I'm trying to keep the rig fairly minimal.

If I was just going to use an illuminated reticule type finder on it's own it would be either a Telrad or a Rigel. I have also used the Baader Skysurfer III mentioned above and that worked well.

The Baader Super Skysurfer V gets enthusiastic reviews:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/finders/baader-40mm-super-sky-surfer-v.html

And if you really want to push the boat out, Tele Vue can help relieve you of quite a lot cash:

https://www.widescreen-centre.co.uk/tele-vue-starbeam-finders.html

Currently I have a Vixen RDF which I use from time to time but most of my refractor finding is done using 6x30 or 9x50 RACI optical finders.

3 minutes ago, BGazing said:

Baader Sky Surfer III for me. Light, OK, good dew shield for prolonged observations.

Do you use it without a magnifying finder scope? have you ever used the Baader sky surfer v?

I use the KSON RDFs on my refractors (I'm sure they've been sold under many other names). They are small, cheap, lightweight and it's pretty easy to put the scope where it needs to be.

Visual finders just seem to be a bit more faff to me, especially if the object you are looking for is too faint to be seen in the finder 

Just now, John said:

If I was just going to use an illuminated reticule type finder on it's own it would be either a Telrad or a Rigel. I have also used the Baader Skysurfer III mentioned above and that worked well.

The Baader Super Skysurfer V gets enthusiastic reviews:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/finders/baader-40mm-super-sky-surfer-v.html

And if you really want to push the boat out, Tele Vue can help relieve you of quite a lot cash:

https://www.widescreen-centre.co.uk/tele-vue-starbeam-finders.html

Currently I have a Vixen RDF which I used from time to time but most of my refractor finding is done using 6x30 or 9x50 RACI optical finders.

Thank you for the reply, the sky surfer V sounds pretty good and is one I have been thinking about.

I have been using lightwave RDF for a while. I like the idea of it but the glass coating hides dimmer objects.

I also seem to lose the dot and have to move right back to find it again.

Unless the target object is quite bright (ie: magnitude 9 or brighter) I can't see it in any of my finders. I find fainter objects by "star hopping" using the finders and a good star map such as the Sky & Telescope Pocket Sky Atlas. The final finding of such targets is done at the eyepiece of the scope with a low power eyepiece.

I really only use an RDF / illuminated reticule finder for getting the scope to the right part of the sky, to within a 4-6 degrees of my target.

I've found this method works well for me :smiley:

10 hours ago, Dantooine said:

Do you use it without a magnifying finder scope? have you ever used the Baader sky surfer v?

I use it without, not necessary at the mags and targets I normally do. Under dark skies, I use it with relatively low powers, in the city it is on the Sun (solar finder), the Moon and planets.

Never used V, but it is heavier and more expensive. 

On my NP101 IS, I loved the Starbeam with its folding mirror. To me this was the best rdf Ive used, as it allowed me to see a large area of sky while standing at a distance. Very comfortable but vastly over priced just like everything Televue. To be honest though, I prefer a magnifying finder and no longer use any rdf's.