Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Apollo 15 landing site

Mike JW

Hi folks, I am having a great time with this run of clear skies coinciding with lunar targets on my lunar 100 list. Last night is was Apollo 15 landing site/Hadley Rille. No way was I going to make sufficient notes, sketches at the eyepiece for this complex area. I prepared a quick outline of the area traced off an image to get the key features in the right place. At the eyepiece I marked up the big bold shadows, the various rilles and the rough outline of the key mountains and raised areas.

Today - 5 hours, I have pulled it all together whilst having a photograph of the area by my side. I have often visited this area but with last night and today's efforts I feel I am much better acquainted with the area. When I scanned the original it lost some of the detail so I have used photoshop to draw them back in.

Mike

1743845144_ApennineMountains3.jpeg.thumb.jpg.cc38223671836e0650db15bc6016bd66.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Mike,

a very detailed sketch! I like the realistic 3D way your're depicting the crater rims and shadows and the grey tones and textures of the lunar surface!

Clear skies!

Achim

Edited by acr_astro