Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hand Controller with Ethernet cable (CAT 5)

SimM

Is there anything wrong with using an Ethernet cable (CAT5) cable between a Hand Controller and a SkyWatcher Mount? I have a cable that is like an old fashioned telephone cable. It seems like the wrong choice e.g. a lightweight Ethernet cable that’s not too long/short too stiff would hang freely and not tug at the scope when I use the HC e.g. cause the image to dance about. Am I missing something?

Simon

A CAT 5/6 cable will work well.

I use a 5mtr CAT 5 cable to connect my Synscan to the HEQ5pro for solar observing.

The mount is out on the patio and I sit in the home office to do my imaging.

11 hours ago, Merlin66 said:

A CAT 5/6 cable will work well.

I use a 5mtr CAT 5 cable to connect my Synscan to the HEQ5pro for solar observing.

The mount is out on the patio and I sit in the home office to do my imaging.

Thanks Merlin, I hadn’t considered the 5m remote control aspect. A HC has a simplicity that extra cable length would help.

My frustration with the telephone style coiled cable was that it doesn’t solve any problems. For its length it is only half the length before it starts to tug at the mount and there is a choke on one end that’s inconvenient. My worry was that an Ethernet cable was not designed for the Astro market e.g. thin conductors, however I realised that the 12V PSU connects to the mount and regulated power is fed indirectly to the HC.

FWIW my only CAT6 cable is thicker/stiffer than CAT5 one (sample of 3) so I’m comfortable with the idea of using the thinner one. One idea I had was to loop the cable through an EP hole on the stretcher plate on the tripod so that tugging the lead exerts a downward force and stops vibration whilst allowing free movement as the mount moves (cable management for dummies).

Simon

Richard,

I've fitted SW belt/ geared focuser motors to all my scopes.

The belt runs on the 10:1 knob to give fine focus control.

The etalon tuner replace an ol' Vegemite lid manual control, just used a standard SW motor fitted to the end of the M6 threaded rod.

Vegemite_motor_tuner01.JPG

TS102_focus_motor.JPG

PST_mod_focuser_motor.JPG

On 31/05/2020 at 23:58, Merlin66 said:

The etalon tuner replace an ol' Vegemite lid manual control.

How does a Vegemite lid manual control work? Probably very well (for the cost)?

I heard a story that the BBC used to make football programs with the sound dubbed e.g. score a goal and they turn up the "canned" roar of the crowd to help the viewer listening at home on their valve radio - LOL.

They found that their mixer desk was a bit too sensitive with small "twiddly" knobs and had them replaced with big round door knobs - the size of your fist and/or arm.

The increased control e.g. move the small one a fraction of an inch vs move the big one also by the same fraction of an inch, gave great control and almost like having a 10:1 reduction.

Is that the idea behind the Vegemite lid manual control?

Simon

I originally used the Vegemite lids to allow adjustment of the front etalon tilt from the eyepiece. The knurled edge of the lid "matched" the knurled adjuster on the SM60. The hand lid now replaced by a SW motor. Majic!

I also use a Vegemite lid on the PST, as you say, to give finer control - works well (also on SCT focusers)

IMG_1543s.jpg