Sky Watcher Startravel 120 vs or Explorer 130p

At some stage in the near future I’m going to be looking at getting myself a beginner telescope.

I was just wondering what the general consensus would be and to which telescope would be most appropriate for a starter scope.

1. Startravel 120 with a AZ3 or EQ3 Mount

2. Explorer 130p with AZ pronto Or AZ5 deluxe Mount ???

Personally, (I am oly referring to the OTA). I think both are very good for the beginner.

I think it depends what you want out of them now and do you intend to do astro-imaging now or later; in which case, I think the Startravel 120 with EQ3 would/maybe the better option.

Edited by Philip R

Both are nice scopes, I do like the ST120 mainly because it's a refractor and gives those sharper pinpoint stars, BUT I agree with what's said about the AZ3, it is nowhere near strong enough to hold the 120. If you keep the bolts nice and tight and stay under 60 degrees, you maybe OK for a while, but once you start aiming higher in the sky the mount will have other ideas....

I've owned both of those telescopes. The 130mm sees a bit deeper and as with any newtonian, expect diffraction spikes around stars. It performs better at higher magnifications than the Startravel. Useful when lunar or planetary observing.

The Startravel view provides more contrast at lower magnifications & pinpoint stars. Great for wide field observing, especially with the addition of a 2" mirror diagonal and 2" wide field eyepieces. As with all fast achromats, there is chromatic abberation apparent around bright objects. This can be mostly countered with rather expensive filters.

The Startravel isn't particularly travel friendly, it weighs in at over 4kg vs the 2.5kg of the 130PS and to get the most out of the ST120 requires more expenditure.

Both work very well on the AZ5 mount, however the Startravel is too heavy unless the AZ5 is mounted onto a 1.75" steel tripod.

If considering astrophotography in the future, the 130PS will require some serious modification and you will be combatting chromatic abberation using the ST120. So neither is well suited.

If you really want to buy one of those brand new packages, then the 130mm AZ5 is the best all around for observational use.

The ST120 is great though for what it's designed for, low to mid power wide field observing. So a used example would serve you well in that role on a used AZ4 mount.

I meant to add, maybe consider picking a 150mm dobsonian. More aperture than both those telescopes and a nice, simple sturdy mount.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/beginner-telescopes/skywatcher-skyliner-150p-dobsonian.html

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet
  • Like 1