Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which is more stable?...Cast your vote!

Which is more stable?...Cast your vote!  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Which mount will carry my F8 120mm Refractor the best?

• iOptron AZ Mount Pro
    • Orion SkyView Pro

I'm very much enjoying my Celestron Omni XLT 120mm refractor. In combination with my AZ4 on top of a 1.75" tripod and 16" pier extension, it makes for a great low to medium power sweeper and DSO setup.

However, there's no getting around the vibrations at high Mag. Some lunar action a few nights ago with stable views up to X400 mag proved a little frustrating on the focusing front. Combined with 55° EP's and no tracking, I barely had time to observe between vibrations dying down and the next nudge, so a new mount may be on the horizon specifically for planetary and lunar work.

I love the 1.75" tripod/16" extension combination and so I had settled on the idea of an Orion SkyView Pro EQ mount (EQ5 class) with manual slow motion controls. In manual config I see EQ as preferable due to only having to track in one axis vs a manual alt/az.

BUT...….An iOptron AZ Mount Pro has become available, locally and at a very decent price. I hadn't planned on going back to a powered mount but given it's in-built battery and simple setup procedure, it looks pretty good. Also a little research confirms it will fit on my pier thus overcoming the tripod clashing issues with longer scopes (a little research also suggests they had/have a few problems too, so no warranty on this potential purchase).

There are pros and cons to both and a fair difference in purchase price, but for me the deciding factor comes down to....

Which of these two mounts will handle the scope the best, specifically with respect to vibrations?

What do you reckon!? Can anyone give first hand experience advice on an EQ5 class mount vs the AZ Mount Pro?

Oh, and if anyone has any other recommendations for a solid mount that will fit the SW/Orion EQ5 pier, I'd love to hear about it. Let's keep it sub £500 for now! 

Edited by parallaxerr

Do vibration pads do anything special e.g. dampen down vibration? Or is a solid base better to stand a tripod on?

Simon

Edited by SimM

The only thing I would add is I love the ioptron AZ mounts had several including the one you mention there is still some vibration when mounting quite heavy long refractors especially when focusing. There was An AYO Digi II going on abs for a good price that would hold your refractor well or the good old sky tee with slo mo are great for lunar etc 

Edited by garryblueboy