Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mercury - visual observation

With Mercury close to its greatest eastern elongation (today) I decided yesterday to find the planet using its alt/az position and at the same time knowing it was also 3 degrees from Jupiter.

Using the Stellarium free software I obtained its alt/az position from 4.00pm onwards and then using a travellers compass found the azimuth position on my horizon. The altitude position was obtained using the 5 degree FOV of my Celestron 15x70 binos.

I first sited Jupiter and knowing they were 3 degrees apart soon found Mercury with the large binos. I then switched to my twin telescope set up - firstly finding the planet with the WO SD66 and 24mm Hyperion and then viewing in more detail with the 6" SCT with a Hyperion zoom giving a max magnification of 188x.

Mercury showed a 'half moon' illumination which confirmed it was the planet!! Clearly this is all that I could see but it was satisfying to find the planet, with the sky still bright, without using a goto system.

Mark

Archived