NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Lockdown astronomy

Dantooine

Hi, Dale & welcome to SGL.

Nothing wrong with spending a long time exploring the night sky with nothing more than a pair of binos when you are starting. I spent my first 30 years in this hobby with nothing more than a pair of 7x50s. Worked a treat, zero set-up time, and boy did I have to "learn the sky". That said, I "graduated" to telescopes just over a decade ago, but still many of my sessions, while the scope/electronics are imaging, I grab the 7x50s for a browse. And yes, this hobby can be (ver) expensive. Haven't spent much myself lately - one of those people who fell through the cracks of government support - but have spent (wasted?) quite a lot over the years.

Enjoy the journey & thank you for helping to keep us safe.

On 05/06/2020 at 04:29, Demonperformer said:

Hi, Dale & welcome to SGL.

Nothing wrong with spending a long time exploring the night sky with nothing more than a pair of binos when you are starting. I spent my first 30 years in this hobby with nothing more than a pair of 7x50s. Worked a treat, zero set-up time, and boy did I have to "learn the sky". That said, I "graduated" to telescopes just over a decade ago, but still many of my sessions, while the scope/electronics are imaging, I grab the 7x50s for a browse. And yes, this hobby can be (ver) expensive. Haven't spent much myself lately - one of those people who fell through the cracks of government support - but have spent (wasted?) quite a lot over the years.

Enjoy the journey & thank you for helping to keep us safe.

I use binoculars a lot to. Sometimes it’s just the right thing to do, especially when you have to get up early the next morning.