SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Lockdown astronomy

Dantooine

Hello, this is my first post. 
ive been finding out so much valuable information on this site and thought its about time I wrote something. The sky’s have been amazingly clear and Being that I work in a nhs hospital I have found this hobby an amazing way of clearing my thoughts at the end of the day in recent times. One question I have is.. “am I the only one who has spent an excessive amount of money on this hobby in the last 3 months” ? 😊

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

Hi and welcome to the forum :icon_biggrin:

I have not spent much money lately but I have spent a lot of time on the hobby due to the clear skies. It has been a rather unusual but welcome period, at least as far as our hobby does.

Your work in the NHS is very much appreciated by the way :icon_salut:

I'm pleased to hear that astronomy is helping you to unwind after what must be very intense periods at work :icon_biggrin:

I hope you enjoy being part of the Stargazers Lounge !

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, John said:

I have not spent much money lately but I have spent a lot of time on the hobby due to the clear skies. It has been a rather unusual but welcome period, at least as far as our hobby does.

I'm pleased to hear that astronomy is helping you to unwind after what must be very intense periods at work :icon_biggrin:

John,

thank you for your reply and kind words. Hopefully the sky’s will remain clear for a while longer. I have so many new eyepieces to try out and justify. 

• Like 1

Hi,

Welcome to the forum. Astro is certainly proving a great way to relax and unwind during this unprecedented time.

My wife is a nurse in Southampton and the last couple of months have been a testing time for her to say the least. Being able to get out for longer walks again has been a blessing for her (she's not into astro).

Like John i haven't spent loads but i have been browsing UK Astro Buy n Sell more than usual. Picking up little nik nak items for the scope.

Russ

• Like 2

Hi and welcome,

Lockdown and working from home have actually slowed down my astro spending a bit and has made me use what I have a bit more.

But I have spent a huge amount of time with my solar setup and working from home has enabled me have weeknight observing sessions and yes, really helps me to unwind as well.

Like John says, your NHS work is very much appreciated :icon_salut: and I'm glad that astronomy is helping you to relax and unwind.

Enjoy the hobby and your time at SGL.

• Like 1

Hello and Welcome to SGL Dan.

As you say, Astronomy is a great way of calming and chilling.
It has helped my mental health on a number of occasions, even before 2020 came along.
It certainly has in 2020.

My daughters who are frontline too often want eyepiece time after difficult shifts.

15 minutes ago, russ said:

Hi,

Welcome to the forum. Astro is certainly proving a great way to relax and unwind during this unprecedented time.

My wife is a nurse in Southampton and the last couple of months have been a testing time for her to say the least. Being able to get out for longer walks again has been a blessing for her (she's not into astro).

Like John i haven't spent loads but i have been browsing UK Astro Buy n Sell more than usual. Picking up little nik nak items for the scope.

Russ

Russ,

my wife’s a nurse too and she’s not into Astro either. Must be a nurse thing. 

Dale. 

3 minutes ago, Alan White said:

Hello and Welcome to SGL Dan.

As you say, Astronomy is a great way of calming and chilling.
It has helped my mental health on a number of occasions, even before 2020 came along.
It certainly has in 2020.

My daughters who are frontline too often want eyepiece time after difficult shifts.

Thank you for your reply. 
since February it’s been.. work, shower, eat, sleep and days of (weather permitting) sky. 

Dale. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dantooine said:

Thank you for your reply. 
since February it’s been.. work, shower, eat, sleep and days of (weather permitting) sky. 

Dale. 

Hi Dale,
Sorry I called you Dan.
Enjoy the sky when you can.

Hi @Dantooine and welcome to SGL. Astronomy is a great hobby for clearing your thoughts, especially working in such a key role during these times. I tip my hat for the work that you do and we all very much appreciate it.

In answer to your question, a massive "NO!". You definitely aren't the only one. I didn't have a single piece of this rig 3 months ago! I might have made one or two additional additions since this photo, oh and the mini pc for the rig too not in shot! 

1282771083_DSORig.jpg.b2a52ca258637d99ca3771ac13cfcdc0.jpg

Hi @Dantooine and welcome to SGL. :hello2:

Another that appreciates the NHS staff on the 'frontline'
...plus the staff at airports and seaports. 

I have been furloughed since the first week of April 2020. 
Doing this hobby helps me de-stress and keeps my brain cell
active whilst being inactive.

Edited by Philip R

Hi @Dantooine and welcome :)

And as everyone else said, thank you very much for all your precious work!

Aaaand, yes, me too 😂 just spent a massive amount on new mount, apo, narrowband filters (well, we can't look for dark places, so might as well get started in NB) etc etc.

I feel a little less guilty knowing I'm not alone :)

20 minutes ago, Chris Wright said:

Hi @Dantooine and welcome to SGL. Astronomy is a great hobby for clearing your thoughts, especially working in such a key role during these times. I tip my hat for the work that you do and we all very much appreciate it.

In answer to your question, a massive "NO!". You definitely aren't the only one. I didn't have a single piece of this rig 3 months ago! I might have made one or two additional additions since this photo, oh and the mini pc for the rig too not in shot! 

Respect looks fantastic. 

Welcome.. and enjoy the stay. Can only echo what everyone has said, so thank you and all those in your profession. I'm not in health care, but have been working all the way through also supporting & aiding 50 colleagues to work from home (still am). Astro always de stresses me too.

Best Wishes

Rob 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GuLinux said:

Hi @Dantooine and welcome :)

And as everyone else said, thank you very much for all your precious work!

Aaaand, yes, me too 😂 just spent a massive amount on new mount, apo, narrowband filters (well, we can't look for dark places, so might as well get started in NB) etc etc.

I feel a little less guilty knowing I'm not alone :)

Aren’t we terrible. My addiction has been eyepieces. My theory is, get all the buying out of the way then it’s done.. or is it. No televue are being made as they are closed so my thinking is buy what’s still in stock 🤔

2 minutes ago, Rob said:

Welcome.. and enjoy the stay. Can only echo what everyone has said, so thank you and all those in your profession. I'm not in health care, but have been working all the way through also supporting & aiding 50 colleagues to work from home (still am). Astro always de stresses me too.

Best Wishes

Rob 

You always work harder at home I believe. 

4 minutes ago, Rob said:

Best Wishes

Rob 

You work much harder at home. Much harder. 💪🏻

1 hour ago, John said:

To be honest, I am amazed by the amount of comments to my first post. Thank you. 

4 minutes ago, Dantooine said:

Aren’t we terrible. My addiction has been eyepieces. My theory is, get all the buying out of the way then it’s done.. or is it. No televue are being made as they are closed so my thinking is buy what’s still in stock 🤔

This is my 'one-to-many' TeleVue 13mm e/p's...

PIC044.JPG.54acb21c9b4e6e69cda54fdd37a1defe.JPG

...as per my signature.

37 minutes ago, Chris Wright said:

I only do visual. That looks very complicated to me, like behind my tv. I have a friend who does the photo stuff, I get lost when he tries to explain it so hats off to you. 

1 hour ago, Dantooine said:

You work much harder at home. Much harder. 💪🏻

This is true.. I personally have only been working from home twice a week, then in the office / computer room the other 4!.. been odd being in a near empty ghost town office that usually has 65 people in!.

Anyway enjoy the Astro. Ask about plenty of things here, lots of good knowledgeable people on hand to help!

Edited by Rob
typo