Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Alignment Problems

:)

Hi, I just my purchased my first telescope, Meade DS-2080, I have a few questions:

1. When aligning the telescope, I get the option of Easy/one star/two star, this seems simple enough, also to point the scope north using the compass and the declination set to 0, yet when I use the autostar system to look towards the moon, it points to a totally different direction to where the moon actually is?, I've tried all 3 alignment modes each with the same outcome

2. I've also tried using the red-dot finder, when pointing the finder direct centre of a full moon, then looking thru the scope, the moon is nowhere to be seen (im assuming because the alignment is out), so question 1 & 2 have the same goal!

3. I have two lenses, both Super Plössl, 9.7mm / 26mm and also a 2x Barlow lens fully multi-coated, are the two lenses good enough for viewing Jupiter and Saturn, if not what is the recommended lens?

4. I was also recommended to purchase a Philips ToUcam Pro SPC900NC for using in conjunction with a laptop, but this model seems to be obsolete, which is the recommended webcam these days

Thx in advance

:)

4. I was also recommended to purchase a Philips ToUcam Pro SPC900NC for using in conjunction with a laptop, but this model seems to be obsolete, which is the recommended webcam these days

Thx in advance

The SPC900NC is still available, I saw one a few weeks ago in PC World, or look at Amazon.co.uk Market place section.

Firstly welcome to SGL.

I haven't used the Meade system so I can't help you there but you do have to align the red dot with what you see in the scope. You can do this during the day by pointing the scope at the furthest object away from you such as a TV arial on top of a house for example and align the red dot with what you see in the scope.

With regard to the eyepieces, see what you think before you go and splash out money on better eyepieces because you can spend several hundred pounds! Jupiter won't around until later in the year and Saturn's rings are edge on at the moment so it's not as spectacular as it will be in a couple of years' time but still a nice sight :) .

Tony..

Not sure if this applies to meade, but is there a daylight saving setting? if there is make sure its set to No (in uk), also ensure your entering time and date in the correct format. for example celestron use the mm/dd/year format. Ensure you always use the same clock/watch source for your time input.Hope this helps :)

Archived