NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Galaxy S9 Moon 25th May

Couple of moon pics from tonight, Galaxy S9 on a SW Starquest 130P using a cheapy eyepiece clamp style holder from ebay. First one is using stock camera app in Pro Mode with manual focus, f1.5, ISO 200 (I think), auto WB and 1/40 exposure time iirc. Second is done on Astrocam free app from Google Play, default settings. No processing done on these as tbh these are first real attempts at some kind of astrophotography, and no filters as I haven't bought any yet.  I also took some video and plan to do extraction using Lynkeos (I use an Android phone and a Macbook Pro!) Let me know if you have any tips, thanks.

20200525_214832.jpg

JPG_2020_05_25_22_01_54_787.jpg

• Like 4

They look pretty good to me. I always used to use the Pro mode on my S9 and it seemed to be plenty good enough.

Settings will change a lot depending on the phase. I tend to keep the shutter speed shorter than say 1/200th to freeze any shaking but other than that just ensure no parts of the surface are over exposed as you can’t get the detail back once an area is saturated. Yours look fine in that regard.

I tend to process Moon shots on my phone using PS Express which is excellent.

Thanks Stu! Not bad for a first go. The camera on the S9 is pretty good.  On the second shot I had put the scope cap back on and just used the small opening to reduce aperture, this helped with reducing the brightness.

Will give PS Express a go.