NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Polar Alignment tools vs software

I have just bought the Primaluce Eagle since I wanted remote control and I'm putting together my forever telescope system for my retirement in a year or two. I'm a bit confused as to some of the new toys and software available now

I always find Initial alignment is always a pain due to roofs, trees or clouds so I started looking at ipolar or polemaster then I read that sharpcap can be used  with a guide camera instead (run from the Eagle) Now I read that Astrotortilla does plate solving. I wanted something quick but primarily accurate

Are these all alternative ways to achieve the same thing?

I already have a guide camera (the Altair  IMX224) in the Altair 8x60 viewfinder

Yes they are all alternative way to achieve the same thing.  As long as you can see Polaris then Sharpcap is the quickest and easiest way to get very good Polar Alignment, you also don't need to buy any extra hardware.  If you can't see Polaris then Polemaster, I believe, can still do polar alignment.  Many other software packages also can do it using drift alignment etc but that takes at lest 15 - 20 min.  Basically take your pick and use what works for you. 

Thanks Dave, I generally use my back garden and I can see Polaris in the general direction of my neighbours chimney but sometimes I get a bit of cloud in the north so it can be a pain , clouds always seem to be in the most inconvenient place!  

The polar alignment method used by SharpCap (and Astrotortilla?) needs about 1 degree fov to work reliably. Depending on your guide scope/camera combo, that may be an issue. But you can also use your imaging scope/camera to polar align.

PHD also has various polar alignment routines that may be of use.