Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Synscan v3.10 won't work in relay mode

BrendanC

Hi all,

Got a second-hand NEQ6 recently.

All works fine, but when I flash the handset firmware so that it acts as a relay, then power it up, the display is blank and it emits a constant tone.

I can flash it back to the original firmware (v3.10), and I've since been able to get the ASCOM drivers to work. So, I have a workable solution - align via handset, then control via laptop. But I would really, really like to get it to work with relay, mainly because it means I can use the nice Skywatcher app rather than the clunky Synscan handset. It was such a reliable, clean solution.

Any ideas? I've tried several times, same result. The bootloader is v1.7.

Thanks, Brendan

Edited by BrendanC

I'm not sure what you mean in 'relay mode' ??

If you are going to use a computer to control the mount, then the best option is to put the synscan controller in a draw & forget about it.

Depending on the age of your mount hardware you then just connect the mount to the computer either directly or via a USB to serial adaptor...

I'm not sure it's as simple as that, is it?

Wouldn't this involve getting a new cable and using something like EQMOD?

I'd really like to avoid all that if at all possible. 

Thanks for the suggestion though.

BTW relay mode is when you flash the firmware with the Synscan Relay file. It's how Skywatcher recommend using the app. 

Edited by BrendanC

So, are you saying that I can plug my laptop using my USB-serial cable, directly into the mount, where the handset would normally go?

But isn't that a powered serial socket on the mount, because it powers the handset? Wouldn't I fry my laptop doing that?

Hmmm, as it says here: "don't ever plug a usb-rs232 adapter into the mount itself" - https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/297417-connecting-neq6-to-desktop/

However, I think this cable might work, and still allow me to use the app: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-cables-leads-accessories/lynx-astro-ftdi-eqdir-usb-adapter-for-sky-watcher-eq6-or-neq6-syntrek-pro-mounts.html

Any comments?

Yep, that will work... 

The reason that a 'TRUE' RS232 cable should not be used is that the specification for rs-232 stipulates a 15 volt switching signal, where most modern mounts only require either a 3.3 or 5 volt (usually 5volt) switching signal....