Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Connecting NEQ6 to desktop.....

paul mc c

Hello all,not sure if this is the right place for this question,i use a tower pc in my observatory mainly for processing pics,my question is can i run the mount from a tower to use stellarium,or can it only be done using a laptop.

Thanks Paul.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you use EQMOD then you will need an appropriate EQMOD cable, if you just want to connect for third party programs to control the mount then you need the serial cable that connects from the second port on the handset to a serial to USB adapter and then to your PC

That is pretty much it. Have you had a look a cdc. It comes across a little daunting compared to stellarium but I find it has more to offer.

I have my tower outside as I do not have a full obs and my keyboard, mouse and monitor are several meters away in the shed. I have it all connected and just power up open phd or cdc and connect that to the mount.

Cheers

Spill.

• 1 month later...
52 minutes ago, Starlight 1 said:

Go from mount to computer BYPASS the hand set.

Thanks - so a lead plugs into the DB9 port where the handset would and then into the interface box then to the PC?  How does this differ from just using a lead?  I can open up the EQMOD screen and control the scope as it is?

23 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

I wanted to bump up this old thread to seek advice.

I've my EQ6-synscan connected to my PC *using the small port on the handset, which is connected to the serial port of my PC*

Is this the same as EQDIR?

No, its not the same as an EQDIR - it is an alternative to it.

An EQDIR cable bypasses the handcontroller completely and is designed to interface directly with the mounts motor controller - this interface is not RS232 (don't ever plug a usb-rs232 adapter into the mount itself!).

If placed in PC-Direct Mode the handcontroller will do a similar job to the EQDIR in that it will pass messages recieved on its RS232 port to the mount. However, whilst the EQDIR cable is a hardware only solution - the handset is a firmware/hardware solution - and that the handcontroller firmware is something the EQMOD developers have no control over and is something that no account has been take of when designing EQMOD. So, if you want to use EQMOD how it was intended to be used by its designers you would use an EQDIR interface - but is your choice and many folks use PC-Direct with no issues.

52 minutes ago, chrisshillito said:

No, its not the same as an EQDIR - it is an alternative to it.

An EQDIR cable bypasses the handcontroller completely and is designed to interface directly with the mounts motor controller - this interface is not RS232 (don't ever plug a usb-rs232 adapter into the mount itself!).

If placed in PC-Direct Mode the handcontroller will do a similar job to the EQDIR in that it will pass messages recieved on its RS232 port to the mount. However, whilst the EQDIR cable is a hardware only solution - the handset is a firmware/hardware solution - and that the handcontroller firmware is something the EQMOD developers have no control over and is something that no account has been take of when designing EQMOD. So, if you want to use EQMOD how it was intended to be used by its designers you would use an EQDIR interface - but is your choice and many folks use PC-Direct with no issues.

Thanks Chris.  I'll look into it more.  I still use the hand control for inital alignment, i guess the EQMOD program does away with this.

31 minutes ago, spillage said:

@tooth_dr if you are using apt then do not bother with alignment. Just use the pointsolve (platesolve) in apt to move from object to object.

Thanks.  I downloaded the trial version of APT last night, was getting on ok with it for the limited time I spent using it.  Will all the functions work with plugging into the handset as opposed to buying the EQDIR?  I've never used platesolving, and though it was just for centring images.  I never though that it could be used to naviagte the scope instead of alignments, although that makes perfect sense.  The more I find out these days the less I seem to know!

I am sure it will connect using the handset as it may connect via eqmod rather than a direct connection. The free version is very nearly the full paid version and very little will not function but at such a low price (more of a donation than purchase) its a great bit of kit.

Once its opened click on the gear tab and then click connect scope. The pointsolve tab should then be available (not greyed out). The is a decent list of target within apt but you can import your own or if you want I can dig out a couple links to download a couple of good updated lists.

You will need to download and set up platesolve2 and asps but its not too difficult. Click pointsolve and then go into settings.

I blind solving can get a bit buggy but its really made life so much easier for me. A couple of mouse clicks and I am imaging my chosen target.

19 hours ago, spillage said:

I am sure it will connect using the handset as it may connect via eqmod rather than a direct connection. The free version is very nearly the full paid version and very little will not function but at such a low price (more of a donation than purchase) its a great bit of kit.

Once its opened click on the gear tab and then click connect scope. The pointsolve tab should then be available (not greyed out). The is a decent list of target within apt but you can import your own or if you want I can dig out a couple links to download a couple of good updated lists.

You will need to download and set up platesolve2 and asps but its not too difficult. Click pointsolve and then go into settings.

I blind solving can get a bit buggy but its really made life so much easier for me. A couple of mouse clicks and I am imaging my chosen target.

I didnt realise it was so reasonable to purchase APT.  That's my birthday present sorted :) Reading through the literature its seems pretty much what I need.  Currently I'm doing loads of separate tasks using different methods, this should really help my workflow and make it a lot easy to get on target.

Thanks.

• 2 months later...
25 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Bump up - I have my EQDIR cable coming to me this week, and was wondering what progammes I can use to work with it?  Any pointers or links would be greatly appreciated.

EQMOD is the obvious one.. works a treat, and its free, full control of your mount via PC, and works very well with APT :)

2 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

Bump up - I have my EQDIR cable coming to me this week, and was wondering what progammes I can use to work with it?  Any pointers or links would be greatly appreciated.

You will need the Ascom platform and EQAscom and then a planetarium programme (Stellarium or Cartes du Ciel etc) for navigation

7 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

I just need to work out how to get it all talking?!

First of all download and install the EQMOD Ascom driver, then when you open it find th COM port that the mount is using and connect, and then you can move the mount through the software,

As for APT, in the mount section click on the EQMOD Ascom driver from the drop down list and connect, and job done, it really very simple, it must be as i got it working first time.. :)

3 minutes ago, Cornelius Varley said:

You will need the Ascom platform and EQAscom and then a planetarium programme (Stellarium or Cartes du Ciel etc) for navigation

Thanks Peter, I have CdC downloaded, will get the EQascom stuff downloaded too.  I think I might have tried it before just through the handset, so might be partially downloaded.  I'm also confused as to how CdC and EQMOD can be tied in with plate solving.  I'd like to be able to click on CdC, accurately go to it.  Currently I platesolve with APT/ASPS.

Archived