NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Eikow 77mm/1000mm refractor

Hello,

I have found on a local second hand website an Eikow 77mm/1000mm refractor similar to this one https://www.cloudynights.com/gallery/image/23913-eikow-telescope-008/

Does anyone have experience with this and could comment on the quality? 

How much do you think it's worth assuming good condition? I'd like to make a sensible offer to the seller.

Cheers,

Raphael

I've not but looks like a typical 60-70's japanese scope and solid build. Couldn't make out the makers mark in the info label but I've seen the larger aperture ones go for £60-80 on the bay when I've been hoping to get one (failed so far). Does it come in a wood carry-box as well, along with all the accessories?

edit:

Ah found it - circle-Y Criterion but the upside-down Y is Eikow. So none the wiser in terms of quality but was sold under other names it seems.

Edited by DaveL59
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, DaveL59 said:

I've not but looks like a typical 60-70's japanese scope and solid build. Couldn't make out the makers mark in the info label but I've seen the larger aperture ones go for £60-80 on the bay when I've been hoping to get one (failed so far). Does it come in a wood carry-box as well, along with all the accessories?

It does come with a great looking wooden box. It also has lots of accessories of unknown quality including optical finder (6x30 or 5x24? idk), diagonal, 3 EPs, wooden tripod, EQ mount, slowmotion controls and what might be a barlow. 

Do you know if the focuser takes 1,25' EPs?

It seems that its a complete original package however the seller is asking for EUR 180 which seems a bit steep

I don't, the older gear was more often 0.96-inch I believe tho some you could undo the ring on the end of the focus drawtube and fit an adaptor to use 1.25-inch.

This may give some info off CN
https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/392189-eikow/

and this old ad would indicate it's 0.96 too
https://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=93956

• Thanks 1

Personally I have,nt  heard of the brand name However first impressions look very inviting regarding build quality looks very 80,s perhaps similer to a TAL 100mm refractor has a very slight Russian look a bout it 

Edited by Supernova74
Mistake

2 minutes ago, Supernova74 said:

Personally I’ve heard of the brand name However first impressions look very inviting regarding build quality looks very 80,s perhaps similer to a TAL 100mm refractor has a very slight Russian look a bout it 

Actually it seems to be japanese.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Supernova74 said:

Well if it’s japenese may be onto a winner there from intiall impressions might be worth taking a punt on is it in dollars or Euros?

Asking price is 180 Euro

Edited by Raph-in-the-sky