Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Quattro focuser

Hi guys

could any Skywatcher quattro 250 owners tell me how good the focuers is?

I have been eyeing up a Quattro F4 250 for a while now and rather than upgrade the focuser on my 200PDS (as its struggling with my Nikon) if its a much better one then I will upgrade the OTA instead!

make sense?

unless its the same focuser as the 200PDS of course then its back to the drawing board.

many thanks

Hi Cedric

I owned a Quattro for about four years and the first thing to go was the focuser; I replaced it with a Moonlite. From memory, almost the first thing I noticed was the poor lateral support. The drawtube could move sideways in the focuser so I imagined that a heavy camera could shift as the scope tracked. I was fortunate in already having a Moonlite focuser from an earlier scope that I could transfer. 

The Quattro is a bit of a beast to handle but produced lovely images once properly collimated. Be warned, collimation of a Quattro is not trivial and I achieved accetable colliamtion only after purchasing a Catseye Collimation kit. I think their 2" sight tube is unique and the autocollimator is the is the only device I've used that enabled correct orientatrion of the secondary mirror.

Also, do consider the site you are imaging from; the Quattro is a sail in anything more than a puff of wind, especaily with a dew shield fitted.   

David

• Like 1

I also have the 10" Quattro.

The stock focuser is not up to the task of Astrophotography by a long shott.

I also updated it immediatly to a moonlight and stepper motor.

I would advise you to get the carbon fibre version as the steel version is not great when loaded fully for Astrophotography.

I had a carbon tube made for mine.

• Like 1