Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

130pds focuser tension advice

Hi, when using the focuser with a heavier camera on my 130pds I've noticed that I have to really twist hard to get the locking screw to stop the focuser from slipping, but this introduced tilt. I've tried tensioning the focuser to the point where the locking screw isn't needed (really tight) but that pushes the focuser tube so that it's no longer orthagonal.

If I tension the focuser in this way can I just recollimate to account for the the focuser tube no longer being orthagonal?

I've read a couple of guides but they only really tell you what the various screws do and not really any of the finer points on setting up a focuser.

1 hour ago, cuivenion said:

Hi, when using the focuser with a heavier camera on my 130pds I've noticed that I have to really twist hard to get the locking screw to stop the focuser from slipping, but this introduced tilt. I've tried tensioning the focuser to the point where the locking screw isn't needed (really tight) but that pushes the focuser tube so that it's no longer orthagonal.

If I tension the focuser in this way can I just recollimate to account for the the focuser tube no longer being orthagonal?

I've read a couple of guides but they only really tell you what the various screws do and not really any of the finer points on setting up a focuser.

I had the similar problem...

Unfortunately, - not much advise from my side, as focusers on 130PDS are probably not the best quality (but for such a price!)...

To solve the issue, I tensioned it a bit more than it was out of the box (to get rid of any possible tilt after meridian flip) and attached DIY autofocuser which holds cam+EFW in place and prevents possible slippage. .

Cheers, might try something like that myself. I'm guessing the tube does have to be orthagonal, I wonder if I can use the tilt adjusters on the focuser to counteract the tilt caused by strong tensioning.

5 hours ago, cuivenion said:

Cheers, might try something like that myself. I'm guessing the tube does have to be orthagonal, I wonder if I can use the tilt adjusters on the focuser to counteract the tilt caused by strong tensioning.

You probably could... 

If you would adjust the focuser's base plate angle accordingly, - to keep drawtube at 90 degree angle.

But l would not advise to go this way, unless you are experienced in collimation of the secondary mirror alongside with missplaced focuser...

Edited by RolandKol