Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

102mm fpl-53 double TS vs Altair?

3 minutes ago, betelgeuse91 said:

I suspect they are the same scope under different brandings.

Do you like the silver or black focuser and dew shield adapter rings better?  It probably comes down to price shipped with all taxes and duties figured in.

Does either company individually inspect each scope for quality control purposes or do they just ship out whatever comes in from China?  Stellarview in the US now hand figures the optics in telescopes delivered from China to give some value add and differentiation.  They no longer sell telescopes as delivered from China.  I think there was just too much variability in the quality of the figures.

6 hours ago, betelgeuse91 said:

As already stated, they may be the same scope. However, the TS model really emphasizes the use of lanthanum glass as the mating element, but the Starwave write-up mentions nothing about lanthanum. It may be worth enquiring to see if the Starwave uses the FPL53 and a lanthanum mating element. Both will doubtless be good refractors, but every little helps, so if lanthanum is used in one and not the other I'd be inclined to go for the lanthanum version. Would it make any difference in real terms? Possibly not, until you start using higher powers, then the lanthanum may just give a small advantage. Having said that, I've used old ED scopes by Vixen that use neither FPL53 or lanthanum and they've been absoloutly stunning. 

• Like 1

I agree with Mike. The quality of the lens figure and polish is as important as the glass types used. Mind you I've found that the Chinese scopes that use these expensive glass types (FPL-53 glass comes from Japan and costs 18x as much as normal optical BK7) do tend to be pretty well finished optically. I reckon if they are going to spend that much on glass, the figuring, polishing and quality control is done to a higher standard as well. There will always be the odd rogue that slips though though.

• Like 1