NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

ADC worth it?

Is an ADC a must have tool when doing visual or ap? The benefits of a focalreducer and/or flattener are obvious and I think i understand what an adc does but its not that i’ve seen it being used or sold much. Or is it object and location related?   

Edited by Robindonne

Hi guys I was interested in this topic earlier which I created I’ve had mixed views about this ADC now I cannot help feel at moment it’s one of thease gizmos you would use once or twice and most probably get fed up with I’ve heard thay do work to an certain degree as thay use prisms I believe crossing each other and are a little bit fiddly to set up correctly for exsample even tho your improving contrast you do loose some light and also introduces Astigmatism apparently and as the planets will start to rise higher in the meridian atmospheric dispersion should be a little less and we all no seeing conditions is key here especially on the planets and I’ve asked myself if this device is so good all the top seasoned imagers and visual observers would have one in there accessory case however it may work for you only seem to be a few on the market ie ZWO however for such an complex little device for £130 or so cannot be that great after all as in this day and age get what you pay for me personally I’m just go to invest in a good quality Neutral density filter for now 

Yes that’s exactly what i thought.  It does work according to review or youtube(commercials).  But the question if its worth it cant really be answered with a yes.  Because most of the planets are very low from my location, and maybe stay low the near future, it might have helped.   Ill look into the filter you mentioned or maybe a combi of filter?   Thx for the advice

For planetary imaging in the UK an ADC is almost essential at the minute.... pretty much every planetary imager I know of uses one.  

For visual observers they are perhaps less useful as can be a little tricky to set correctly visually (imaging software has handy ways of helping you set the levers). 

More info on how they work o and their benefits on Martin Lewis' website here... http://www.skyinspector.co.uk/atm-dispersion-corrector--adc

18 minutes ago, CraigT82 said:

For planetary imaging in the UK an ADC is almost essential at the minute.... pretty much every planetary imager I know of uses one.  

For visual observers they are perhaps less useful as can be a little tricky to set correctly visually (imaging software has handy ways of helping you set the levers). 

More info on how they work o and their benefits on Martin Lewis' website here... http://www.skyinspector.co.uk/atm-dispersion-corrector--adc

Hm useful website from the skyinspector. Does it mean that when shooting mono you dont use this adc? Or is the adc only bringing back the allignment of colors and is there no further relation between mono- vs colorshooting?

Edited by Robindonne

You can still get benefit using an ADC with a mono camera, as there is some residual dispersion within the colour bandwidth of each RGB filter. The larger the aperture and the lower the planet the more benefit it will give. There are some image examples on Martin's website showing this