Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A fly in my soup <long animated transit>

Kitsunegari

6 hours ago, David Smith said:

Took me a while to spot it but got there in the end! Good capture, I wonder what it is? appears not to be moving in a linear fashion but that could be an optical illusion. What equipment were you using?

127mm x 1200mm explore scientific achromat + coronado pst etalon + 5mm blocking filter + basler aca1920-155um camera.

this post is raw video, no editing (aside from converting to .gif)- captured at 160 frames per second.   

entry begins at about the 1'o;clock position and ends at 7 o'clock.  Not too sure what it is, but it had to be pretty far away to be transiting this long.  My guess is a large fly or butterfly, but maybe a stray balloon.  However Bugs usually do not "blink" the way this seems to be.  Perhaps a piece of mylar way up in the sky that  detached from a plane.

• Like 1

It seems to take several seconds (30s?) to transit the disc and is not massively out of focus so it must be a reasonably sized object some distance away.  It's random nature, speed and size rule out an aircraft or satellite, if I had to guess I would suggest something at about 500~1000ft away, moving at around 10~30mph.

It appears to change shape, so your guess that it is a sheet of something been blown along by the wind (tumbling) is consistent, but not as high as you suggest.

It might be a drone, someone at 500ft and moving about 10mph, but been manually controlled and changing angle or been blown a bit in a strong wind?

Anyway nice capture.

Robin

• Like 1