NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Corrective lens for Celestron 127 eq

1 hour ago, Cornelius Varley said:

Unfortunately this type of telescope cant be collimated using a laser.

So even if I take out the corrective lens I cannot collimate the mirrors using a laser?  Do I need to used the eyepiece instead for collimanation?  If I use the eyepiece for collimation do i need to take out the corrective lens also?   Y'all are really helping me a lot thanks!!

Just now, Rhino1969 said:

So even if I take out the corrective lens I cannot collimate the mirrors using a laser?  Do I need to used the eyepiece instead for collimanation?  If I use the eyepiece for collimation do i need to take out the corrective lens also?   Y'all are really helping me a lot thanks!!

You could take the corrector lens out to collimate, but then you have to put the lens elements back in the correct order. Using a Cheshire eyepiece or collimating cap can be done without removing the corrector lens.

5 minutes ago, Cornelius Varley said:

You could take the corrector lens out to collimate, but then you have to put the lens elements back in the correct order. Using a Cheshire eyepiece or collimating cap can be done without removing the corrector lens.

Ok so can you help me with this to make sure I haven't done this incorrect?  The concave part of the correcter lens is facing the mirrors is this correct or should the concave be facing towards my eye?  Sorry for all; the questions I am very green when it comes to astronomy.

Last time I collimated a bird-jones scope I used an artificial star and the view of it at the eyepiece about 30 metres away. That seemed to work quite well when we came to use the scope under the real stars.

39 minutes ago, johninderby said:

If you are really bloody minded about it  this scope can be improved but is it worth the effort? 🤔

Have a read of this thread..

This actually looks like it would be fun to do.  I do believe this first telescope has taught me a lot about viewing the sky with the wrong equipment.  I will be buying a new scope looking at the Skyliner 200p Dobsonian but this time I will do a better research in regards to upkeep and factory parts installed.  But then again this project looks like fun for me and my son to do when he gets home.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 10/05/2020 at 00:12, johninderby said:

Ah so it is a Newtonian scope. In that case it’s probably simply needs collimating. A newtonian doesn’t have a correctot plate.

He means the (bird Jones) Barlow in the focuser