Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First (decent) scope

Hi All,

My sons and I are just getting into stargazing. We currently have a Powerseeker 60AZ, which is ok, but by the time I line it up on anything more than the moon, or a wide field view of Venus, and get the kids around to the eyepiece, it’s moved out of view. 

So, I have put aside £500 to get us a new scope.  I would prefer a goto, as by the time I have anything lined up, the kids have lost interest. And my knowledge of the sky is limited. 

I’ve looked at the Celestron NexStar 130 SLT and the Sky-Watcher Star Discovery P150I. 

Please could I get any advice on which of these (or another) would be best?

cheers :)

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sky-watcher-az-gti-wifi/sky-watcher-explorer-130ps-az-gti.html

Lightweight, very portable and relatively easy to get going. Once you know what you're doing, 10 minutes to setup and start observing. Versatile, as the mount can be used with a range of scopes and cameras up to 5kg. A little more advanced, but with a firmware upgrade, EQ wedge and counterweight, can be used in equatorial mode. There's also a stainless steel tripod upgrade if a telescope approaching the weight limit is purchased in the future (bottom picture).

Controlled with a mobile plus Synscan app and can also be used in tandem with the Sky Safari Plus/Pro mobile app. Scroll around the sky map on the app and pick an object to view.

The AZ-GTI is powered by batteries, a mains adapter or, as in my case a £20 USB power bank and £5 converter cable. The power bank is very handy, as it also keeps the phone charged and lasts several nights.

Just beware none of these goto systems are perfect or 100% accurate, sometimes missing the target a little, or not centred in the eyepiece so some adjustment is needed. Like anything, practice makes things easier.

The system is also well below your budget, so accessories can be purchased including a couple of decent eyepieces.

AZ-GTI with Skymax 102

428449102_IMG_20200424_1801225613.thumb.jpg.a25556d7eaeafb822c145679226eb58e.jpg

and AZ-GTI mounted Startravel 120...

932469083_IMG_20200320_1824133942.thumb.jpg.7dda897e6bdf3c98b35d02c8eded2b2b.jpg

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet

Thanks for the advice. Would I be able to add a 150mm tube onto the AZ-GTI Mount?

How does this mount compare to the one supplied with the P150i?

HinAll,

Thank you again for the advice. I have gone for the AZ-GTI Mount and tripod with the P150 tube. I also added in a 7AH PSU with it for only slightly more than the P150i was on Amazon. 

I think I may be more excited than the kids will be lol!

• Like 1

Well I’ve used it a few times with the boys. Love how much more we can see. Not quite got to grips with alignment yet, so we have t ventured into deep space yet, just the main visible stars really. Any advice on alignment would be greatly appreciated

3E548CA1-6212-45F7-9F7C-997F9A37F860.jpeg