NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

RS232 cable & USB

ailsaran

:) Hi I am pretty new to this so if this is a daft question forgive me. I want to update my HEQ5 mount controller but have no com ports left on my computer. Can I buy a USB adaptor to fit the RS232 cable and plug it into a free USB port in my compuer? Will that work and do I have to do anything else?

Ian

Make sure you get a decent one. Speaking from experience, a cheap one can cause all sorts of issues. I'd recommend one with a Prolific chip. I bought mine from astronomiser, not cheap but it has saved me so much time compared to the cheapy I bought off ebay.

I've got 2 adapters, 1xSitecom that works well and a double usb to serial adapter (generic make) from ebay, both work really well on most applications so far, I use the double for PHD to mount and PHD to modded webcam, the only time I had an issue was trying to upgrade my handset, after 5mins of messing around I decided to be lazy and instead of finding out whty it didn't work properly I used my real com port on my PC.

Archived