Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQ6R PRO - Tripod Dimensions

Thinking of getting one of these mounts but not sure it will fit in my HEQ5 cabinet.

Does anyone have dimensions, ideally the ranges for the spread of the legs and height.

Also, does anyone use a dolly with one of these - I wouldn't be able to lift it once the scope is mounted.

Hello.  I have the Orion Atlas tripod and the Celestron AVX tripod which I think are the same dimensions as the EQ6R Pro tripod (which I think itself is the same tripod as used for the AZ-EQ6),  but have check on all this.  For these tripods, the toe-to-toe distance without the legs extended (but fully spread) is 33 inches and the height to the base plate is 28 inches.  I have just bought a manufactured dolly ("wheeley bars") for my Atlas. It was quite expensive but solidly built (see ASTOptics wheeley bars, but there are others out there too).  Due to the leg extension knobs being on the inside of the tripod, they butted against an adjustment knob on the wheeley bar, so I had to extend the wheeley bar legs slightly to fit them, and also had to extend the tripod legs by a few inches too.   The final fit however is good. The final extra height is just 5 inches compared to if the tripod was seated on the ground and unextended, and the the additional leg spread might be good for stability.  I've not taken the set up outside yet, but from testing everything indoors, the mobility looks good and the dolly is sturdy.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Midnight_lightning said:

Also, does anyone use a dolly with one of these - I wouldn't be able to lift it once the scope is mounted.

Can I ask why you would lift it with the scope fitted? Are you thinking of wheeling it out of the garage fully assembled. I can tell you this is a VERY heavy bit of kit, you would struggle to lift it without the scope and counterweights. 
You might want to consider leaving it set up. A TeleGizmos 360 cover will protect it from the elements 

• Like 1

I currently have an HEQ5 and Esprit 80 left set up and carry it out for each session.

As you say the 120 and EQ6 would be to heavy to lift so I am thinking leave it set up and wheel it out - I only go 10 feet over a hard surface. 

Since posting I'm now thinking have 3x 3 wheeled "coasters" - put one under each tripod leg - wheel it out and lift each leg individually to remove coaster once in position.

6 hours ago, Scoobs767 said:

Hello.  I have the Orion Atlas tripod and the Celestron AVX tripod which I think are the same dimensions as the EQ6R Pro tripod (which I think itself is the same tripod as used for the AZ-EQ6),  but have check on all this.  For these tripods, the toe-to-toe distance without the legs extended (but fully spread) is 33 inches and the height to the base plate is 28 inches.  I have just bought a manufactured dolly ("wheeley bars") for my Atlas. It was quite expensive but solidly built (see ASTOptics wheeley bars, but there are others out there too).  Due to the leg extension knobs being on the inside of the tripod, they butted against an adjustment knob on the wheeley bar, so I had to extend the wheeley bar legs slightly to fit them, and also had to extend the tripod legs by a few inches too.   The final fit however is good. The final extra height is just 5 inches compared to if the tripod was seated on the ground and unextended, and the the additional leg spread might be good for stability.  I've not taken the set up outside yet, but from testing everything indoors, the mobility looks good and the dolly is sturdy.  

Thanks, that is really useful.

Do you think the threaded stand-off legs on the dolly will be rigid enough for imaging? 

If I go down the dolly route I was thinking maybe not use these and just lift each side an put a brick underneath?

You mean the screws at the end of the dolly legs that lift it off the wheels?    They seem sturdy but TBH have not these tested out with the whole set up.  Also I'm pretty new at imaging so not sure about the impact yet.  The dolly I got was slightly redesigned from the pictures you see on line, for the better I think.  The knobs on those end screws are a lot bigger (large three pointed knobs) which might help in turning them against the weight above.   I considered the coasters too, but from what I've seen online they work best on really smooth surfaces (very small wheels), and perhaps more risk of tipping?

• Like 1

Just had a go at turning one of them, and I must admit I was stunned as how easy it was to lift the dolly leg until the wheel was off the ground.  No effort involved at all. They seem to be designed with good mechanical advantage.

1 minute ago, Scoobs767 said:

Just had a go at turning one of them, and I must admit I was stunned as how easy it was to lift the dolly leg until the wheel was off the ground.  No effort involved at all. They seem to be designed with good mechanical advantage.

They should be easy to rotate and lift, I was wondering more about whether they might flex laterally in a breeze, that sort of thing.