NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

NGC3718/Arp214

Jkulin

I didn't realise when I started to capture this image just how beautiful and interesting it is, neither did I realise just how hard it would be with my skill set to process.

I had to throw away about 3.5 hours of Lum data due to some horrible artefacts which my flats wouldn't remove.

I don't think I have ever spent so much time on a subject, it really has challenged me with the processing as well.

We had an unusual clear spell which allowed me over a period of a few weeks to get enough data, but then I was getting problems with hot pixels which was finally resolved by Rob on the PI forum, turns out the rejection algorithm wasn't doing what I had hoped it would.

I've learnt even more new techniques, and I enjoyed the challenge.

A total of over 19 hours image time and nearly the same processing.

Captured from my Bortle 5 skies with my GSO/Atair 10" RC, iOptron 120EC Mount, Pegasus UPB, Moravian G2-8300 MkII CCD and Chroma 2" Unmounted Filters.

Dates: March 24, 2020 ,  April 13, 2020 ,  April 14, 2020 ,  April 15, 2020 ,  April 16, 2020

Frames:
Chroma Blue 2" unmounted: 27x390" -20C bin 1x1
Chroma Blue 2" unmounted: 8x803" -20C bin 1x1
Chroma Green 2" unmounted: 27x300" -20C bin 1x1
Chroma Green 2" unmounted: 8x600" -20C bin 1x1
Chroma Luminance 2" unmounted: 55x300" -20C bin 1x1
Chroma Luminance 2" unmounted: 13x600" -20C bin 1x1
Chroma Red 2" unmounted: 28x348" -20C bin 1x1
Chroma Red 2" unmounted: 8x696" -20C bin 1x1

Integration: 19.3 hours

More details here: - https://www.astrobin.com/ve12oc/

LRGB_Final_1200.jpg.fe57d6e61aa3af65d5fec55741bf40d4.jpg

Here's the Bumf: -

NGC 3718, also called Arp 214, is a galaxy located approximately 52 million light years from Earth in the constellation Ursa Major. It is either a lenticular or spiral galaxy.

NGC 3718 has a warped, s-shape. This may be due to gravitational interaction between it and NGC 3729, another spiral galaxy located 150,000 light-years away.

NGC 3718 is a member of the Ursa Major Cluster.

• Like 9

I like it. Getting the outer arms to show is a challenge. Do you have pixinsight? If so, try scnr noise reduction. You'll find it will turn the slight green cast in the galaxies to blue. I don't know how to do it in PS. Hasta la Vista Green, maybe?

• Thanks 1

Thanks Wim, Indeed I have only processed this in Pixinsight.

I've tweaked it with SCNR and it made virtually no difference, so I dropped the green curve a tiny amount, would you say this is better?

image.thumb.png.edac2cf5a9ab93f9ccad80d16d362666.png

• Like 1

Thanks Wim, Mark and Bob, I think after spending so many hours processing it I became colour blind, even my wife mentioned that it looked green but I couldn't see it.

Fresh pair of eyes this morning and your comments accompanied by my mate Peter and all I got from my wife was....told you so, you wouldn't believe me😳🙄😅

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Jkulin said:

Does this look better?

It certainly does. 

10 minutes ago, Jkulin said:

Fresh pair of eyes this morning and your comments accompanied by my mate Peter and all I got from my wife was....told you so, you wouldn't believe me😳🙄😅

Isn't that why they are called "SWMBO"?