NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New Reflector owner and shops near Leeds - questions

Hi all - first post so hello. Ive just got my first scope, given to me no less - its a Sherwood DS 144 Newtonian reflector that had been found in the loft of my friends new house. It all seems in good order and Im getting to collimating it and waiting for the weather to clear. I have some questions though inevitably ..

As its been in the loft for god knows how long should I clean the main mirror ? If so how do I remove it from the bottom of the tube, Ive tried removing he 3 screws that appear to hold the end on but it dosent budge and I didnt fancy hitting it for obvious reasons.

Does anyone know of any shops - good or otherwise in Leeds preferably or the surrounding area ?

Does anyone know of any downloadable instructions for the scope I have ?

Thats probably enough for now but Im sure Ill be back. Im looking forward to all the tinkering and long cold nights

Regards

Adrian

Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful,

without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?

I wouldn't bother cleaning it unless you can't see a reflection in it. Some dust is normal and even a lot of dust amounts to less than 1% of the mirror area.

Usually there are three or more screws through the side of the tube into the big lump of metal that holds the mirror. Taking out these screws allows the tube to be pulled off the mirror. There is also usually a cover on the back of the mirror which you take off to get at the collimation adjustments, but this has nothing to do with taking it to bits.

Close to Leeds? Rother Valley Optics near Sheffield has a good reputation, they're near Sheffield, easy to get to off the M1.

http://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/location.php

Kaptain Klevtsov (Huddersfield)

Hi Adrian,

It seems you might have removed the collimating screws (oops), As for shops,umm, nearest I'm aware of is RotherValley Optics,

http://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/detail.php?id=1365 about 45mins from Leeds. There's also Stockport Binocular (I think).

Scour the forum and you'll find loads of advice re cleaning mirrors, though someone is bound to be along pretty shortly.

Welcome to the forum BTW !! :wave:

XLNT some one who knows !! KK

Karlo

Welcome to SGL :p

I too can recommend Rother Valley Optics - we called in there yesterday and our way back to South Wales from Wetherby (its very convenient only 5 minutes from the motorway). The guy was very friendly - I was like a kid in a toy shop - it proved a bit expensive... :)

Helen

< briefly off topic> ADM counterweight bar, telrad, solar film, extension tube... :) (its amazing how quickly 'bits' add up!)

<back on topic>

Adrian, I wouldn't clean the mirror unless its really badly covered in muck

Helen

Thanks for the replies, Beamish - it was the screws on the side not the back. Not that much of a noob :) Thanks for the shoprecommendationsI shall pay a visit next year, hope it wont be as costly as Helens. As for cleaning .... I'll leave it as you say.Happy New YearAdrianIsn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful,

without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?

Happy new year to you Adrian and welcome to SGL :)

"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful,

without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"

Nice quote - Douglas Adams if I'm not mistaken.

John

First ... Happy New Year to you all

John Douglas Adams it is indeed, wonderful author.

Beamish its np mate :) Im actually in Otley just outside of Leeds, are you anywhere near ?

AstroBaby - Ill take some pics as soon as I can and put them up here - Ill call Sherwoods next week too and see what they say.

Thanks again for the help

Archived