Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NGC4302 and NGC 4298 LRGB

Tommohawk

I saw this target in Astronomy now and thought it looked attractive - but a bit small for my SW200P. Anyhow the main objective was to do a nice job and try and avoid all the nasty defocused LUM images I get with my refractor.

I probably went a bit overboard, but apart from some nasty LP thanks to a neighbours obsession with uplighters in the garden left on all night, it all went relatively well - once I'd sorted the overheating secondary mirror issue. Leaving the rig running overnight a few times was a real treat and getting set up without freezing my extremities was definitely a treat. Like imaging in Spain but with proper beer.

So this is SW200 with SW coma corrector and ASI1600 cool at -20C, captured with NINA, processed with Astropixel processor and PS. Slightly cropped. Captured over several nights from 19-26th April. 

440 x 60s LUM, and ~250 each R, G and B also 60s. This lot gave APP a big headache, especially as I asked for an all channels integration - this definitely gives a better result than LUM on it's own. APP took about 7 hours to process this and it estimated a requirement of 19GB but actually used nearer to 90GB. I'm going to ask Mabula to have a look at that - though to be fair 1100+ subs is a bit much perhaps.

Main objective was to try and avoid noise, keep detail in the main galaxies, keep stars small and retain star colour. And not to obsess over it. I failed on the last count for sure.

Happy to hear comment/criticisms - hope you like it!

1242720765_NGC4302cropPNG.thumb.png.5d257622cf30625595c52fc29c93b00f.png

49541143_NGC4302smallcropPNG.thumb.png.d16d52fc1f1bf13f2fbdc1e806d6ceb5.png

Edited by Tommohawk
  • Like 9

11 hours ago, Davey-T said:

A pretty pair Tom, I've got a long list of interesting little targets from browsing AN and S@N 😂

Dave

Thanks Dave and thanks for the other likes.

Dave -  as part of my permitted exercise I cycled past the deep sky campsite the other day when the weather was brilliant and thought of you guys - what a shame you weren't able to take advantage of the super weather. Hopefully things will open up soon - and even more hopefully another extended break in the clouds will be along at the same time. 

I also added a smaller crop because I though the resolution would stand it. At some point I'd like to experiment with a very short exposure high gain version using a powermate just to see if I can extract any more detail. My guiding was 0.7 arc sec which is pretty good for the mount with this scope - but probably not good enough for a huge FL. We'll see, again hopefully.

• Like 1