Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Last chance this Spring

Froeng

Hello All,

after spending the last few clear nights of this amazing clear weather period (when was the last time we had weeks of sunshine/clear nights during a new moon period?) dabbling in imaging, I decided to use the last opportunity before the clouds and the moon return to actually look through the telescope rather than at it! Being in St Albans and not really being able to go to darker skies with the Covid-19 lockdown in place, it was the back garden for me, including all of the dreaded London light-pollution, plus glaring local street lights. A black observing cloth does absolutely do wonders if you are trying to view faint objects. As always, using my trusty C8 on Vixen SP-DX, steered via Sky-Safari. Here goes:

All objects galaxies, apart from where noted. Started in twilight at around 22.00

Algieba – nice golden double

M81/82 – M81 seen as elliptical shape, M82 starting to show slightly mottled structure

NGC2976 – very faint

NGC2841 – clear oval shape with non-stellar bright core area

NGC3184 – extremely faint glow in 20mmLV eyepiece (100x)

M65/66 – Leo triplett only a duett tonight, NGC3628 invisible

M97 – PN very good with Lumicon OIII Filter, at 78x the eyes were starting to become faintly visible

M108 – very faint

M109 – only a faint glow at 135x

M106 – comparatively bright and big. At 78x faint hints of oval shape visible

M94 – very bright, circular with non-stellar core, appear almost like an unresolved GC

M63 – compact, but bright, elliptical shape at 100x

NGC4631 – the Whale, very big and clearly elongated streak of light. No sign of companion and hockey-stick...

NGC4725 - small, bright, stellar core

M64 – very bright, dust lane appears to be floating in and out of view at 135x

M53 – GC small and bright, but unresolved at 193x

Virgo Cluster:

M84, M86, NGC4435/4438, M87, M99 all very faint due to extended light-pollution from London

M3 – amazing view, nicely resolved, very bright

M51 – the two cores clearly shown, disk surrounding visible. Quite good considering the location/light pollution. Sketched with using an artistic license...

I packed up everything at around 1am. All in all a very nice evening in a mild 8-10degrees...

I am very grateful having had the opportunity, although not being optimal in terms of light pollution, but still. what an amazing spring time this has been for SE England so far. Let's hope the summer will have some good views, too. Can't wait for the Veil and in particular, my old favourite NGC7008...

Clear Skies

Frank

M51-Sketch.jpg

Edited by Froeng
  • Like 15