Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Imaging in Monochrome...

RichieJarvis

Hi All,

My new filter wheel is having a few teething troubles (ok - so why do I always get the gear that needs to go back??? huh!) so I am stuck with monochrome at the moment.

What targets would particularly benefit from the monochrome treatment? I can shoot 2 field of views at the moment - 78.5 arcmins by 58.7 arcmins on the ZS66 or 42.8 arcmins by 32 arcmins on the AP 102ED - I've got an Ha and OIII, but can really only realistically use one at a time at the moment.

I saw James's Horsey, which looks very nice and clear - thats going to be a bit small though....

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Richie

Pacman Nebula perhaps.?

NGC 281 - sometimes referred to casually as the Pacman Nebula is an H II region in the constellation of Cassiopeia and part of the Perseus Spiral Arm. It includes or is near the open cluster IC 1590, the double star HD 5005, and several Bok globules. It is visible in amateur telescopes from dark sky locations. (From Wilkpedia)

Ron.

Practically, you could do anything in mono and do the RGB at a later date. So why not do a galaxy or two? Nebulae you could do in narrowband when the Moon is about so make the most of it! M81/82 or M33 will fit in the 66, NGC 2403 in the 102. Have a look in Stellarium, plenty to choose from...

Tony..

For Narrowband, the Rosette is just a bit larger than either of your FOVs, but would be a great Ha target, even the core of it with the dark lanes would be worthwhile

If you are talking of the Rosette, I guess you have a clearish west or south view.... how about:

Head of IC403 (Flaming Star Neb)

IC443 Jellyfish

NGC2264 Area (Christmas Tree Cluster and the Cone neb)

Or even vdB 142 (The Elephant Trunk in IC1396) in the north

But i do agree with Tony and the doing mono luminance while the moon isnt a problem seems a far better idea!

You could get B33 and NGC2024 Flame in same FOV, but beware of the Alnitak Attack :)

Archived