Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Guiding problem with AZ-EQ6

I have been happily using my Skywatcher AZ-EQ6 quite happily for a few years. However, whilst attempting to calibrate my mount on a guide star in PHD2, PHD2 returned the following error: "Advisory: Calibration successful but little south movement was measured, so guiding may be impaired. This is usually caused by very large Dec backlash or other problems with the mount mechanics."

I have done a star cross test and produced this image.

Is this a mechanical problem?

StarCrossTest2.jpg

Edited by Pilots View
Posted before finishing writing!!

Is north to the left on the image? 

Did the test complete? If not, at what stage of the test? 

If North is left, the mount may have headed fully north from the centre of the cross, but failed to reverse back to the centre, so failed to head south of centre to complete the cross. 

Did you do a Guide Assistant run with backlash measurement, what was the figure for backlash?

Could you post the graph in Review Calibration Data? And  a Guidelog that ideally includes a Cal. 

The lack of South movement could be Dec backlash,  but not cable problem, as the star test shows North movement it would seem. 

Michael