NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Telescope

You can but it depends where you live. The hubble arbit doesnt vary more than 30 degrees north or south of the equator. So it's pretty much impossible to see from the UK as it's orbit is very low.

It's a common sight in north australia apparently.

Satellites move fast tho so alot of planning is needed to catch it for a fleeting second in a telescope.

I would suggest doing some research on what you are likely to see with a telescope of your desired size.  And look at observer's drawings, not at photographic images. Those detailed pictures of the planets give a totally misleading impression of what a novice visual observer will see.   Instance my numerous visual observations of Jupiter with my 127mm Mak. Disappointingly, I managed to glimpse a speck of red - the Great Red Spot - on a couple of occasions.  With the same telescope I took an image which, after computer processing, shows the Great Red Spot clearly, with appropiate size, shape and colour.

The atmosphere randomly distorts what one can see when trying to observe fine detail, so the bigger the aperture, the worse the effect, so a 12" will most of the time not work to its full potential.

I would suggest that rather than investing the full £2000 in a large telescope, you start with a smaller and cheaper one, e.g a 127mm Mak or a 130mm Newtonian.  This will provide many hours of viewing pleasure while allowing you to sort out where your interests, and hardware requirements, lie.   As somebody pointed out above, finding the brighter planets is a no-brainer, so you don't need GoTo for that.   Looking at the planets may not detain you for long so you may want to be looking at other stuff.  Also consider that you have to store the scope somewhere, and haul it outside for use, unless you have a permanent observatory.  I have stopped at an 8" not so much because of cost but more because I did not want to struggle with a larger instrument.

My interests started with visual astronomy but have shifted more to using telecopes with electronic enhancement (cameras for planetary maging and EEVA).  Your interests could change to a similar degree, requiring a re-equip.

A 12" Dobsonian with GoTo and accessories would be within your budget, but if you subsequently wanted to do imaging ... you probably should have bought something else.😂

• Like 2